Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA

2. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I'm being teased by a bird. I swear. She was on the nest saturday and sunday. Stayed off all day and night yesterday. Around 1pm today she got back on the nest and hasn't gotten off. She better decide what the heck she's doing. I'm not trusting her until she starts poofing up when I pet her. That's what she did last time she went broody.

3. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    That's how Lucy was at first! I swore she was broody for 2 days and suddenly she was off the nest for 6 hours. I was like "Dude! You're a rotten mother!" [​IMG] But she's clearly a good mother now, she has 2 batches of chicks!

4. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to have an amazing dog- then lose them very suddenly and early.

I love the purebred rescue groups. I have considered being a volunteer and foster home for Puget Sound Lab Rescue ( and probably will, once we get our permanent chicken run built)

5. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    Ha! Your kids are terrific. That's exciting you got 7 eggs! Maybe the chickens just had SAD?
    Ya know, that happens here in the dreary winters of the Pacific NorthWET ...

6. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey

7. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
    Ahhhh, the aroma of cabbage,ham and potato soup is wafting through my home. A great comfort food and a great "leftover" do over.

Head count tonight was 8 hens and 2 roos on the roost. yay!

Rascal roosted with them last night also and everything was quiet and calm today. When I opened the gate for them to free range they all came out in a fairly orderly manner. After they were out, the Blue Roo chased Rascal off. Go figure. All night and all morn, no squabbles but in the yard?

I am amazed (never had chickens b4) how the flock developes and the Roo is truely a calming factor in the flock. I watch with wonder as he literally rounds them up and heads them to the run and then into the coop before sundown. It's even earlier then the hens want to go in but he's insistent but doesn't chase anyone. He kind of sings to them deep in his throat and they seem to listen. Anybody else see this, or am I just dreaming?

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I wait until mine are on the nest for 3 nights in a row before I decide if they are broody or not. And I do remove them from the nest during those 3 days to help determine if she is going to go back to the nest.

9. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    My Pig Pen goes to roost first and makes a low gutteral sound that tells everyone it is time to get to roosts and sleep. He also calls them off it in the morning.

10. robj

robj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    N

Fun!  I will be contacting Evergreen Golden Retriever Rescue, or may even consider a lab since I also have a friend who hosts the weekly cable television show featuring adoptable pets for the Humane Society and is also active in lab rescue.  I'm just hoping to find a friend who will be compatible with another Golden in temperament not just for a play buddy but also so that we can train them to behave properly around the chickens. (And cats, and Pomeranian... ) ;)
    [/quote
    Both are great breeds you'll be happy with either one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by