Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Well today was very eventful for me and the kids. I have one of the biggest head aches I have ever had and I think it is from all the adrenaline from the event of today.
Four out of five of our kids planned to take the dogs for a walk. As we came out of our drive way I noticed that there was a black Ford pick up parked along side of the empty house that we own on the front of our property (house is right on the road). There was a lady in her late 40's in the passenger side of the truck with a dog sitting next to her, a young adult/teen girl and a toddler boy in the back seat, but no driver. The lady had her door open and I walked up and told her to get the **** off my property, and went off on her about who do you think you can just park where ever the hell you want. She said ok and got on the phone (I assumed to call the driver). So I decided to wait until they left. I stood in front of the truck for about 60 seconds when I decided to check the basement door of the house that they were parked by. We have been having a lot of problems with squatters sleeping in there and pooping in the house. DH and I had just gone threw the house 2 days ago because the kids thought they heard noises in the house, but there was no one there that time and all the doors were still locked and dead bolted. So told the kids to stay by the road so I could check the house. I walked up and saw that the door was open just slightly, just a crack, but I knew that meant some one was in there. I pulled my gun and chambered it......next I guess I went into swat mode, because as soon as I chambered my gun I took one good kick and threw the door open! There they were, two men who looked like they were just heading out because the woman had called them. My kids had a good view of the woman in the truck and said that as soon as I pulled my gun and kicked in the door the woman was freaking out in the truck, Man I wish I could have seen that. One guy had a crow bar and the other had a piece of copper pipe they both raised what they had at me until they realized what I had.
This is where I am disepointed at myself...... I stepped back from the door and them men walked out, no matter what I said they would not stop running for the truck to get away. But it was hard cause I was trying to get on the phone with the police. They got away!!!!!! Aaarrrggg I am so mad at myself. But really the only thing I would have done differently was have one of the kids call 911 after I sent them into the house (I did send them into the house) and I should have stood in front of the truck so they could not have left. I am so mad they did not get caught.
I doubt they will come back. They had taken some metal before (large items) and this time they were there for copper and the water tank. Then it was all about me and the police. That was a long day.

Well today was very eventful for me and the kids. I have one of the biggest head aches I have ever had and I think it is from all the adrenaline from the event of today.
Four out of five of our kids planned to take the dogs for a walk. As we came out of our drive way I noticed that there was a black Ford pick up parked along side of the empty house that we own on the front of our property (house is right on the road). There was a lady in her late 40's in the passenger side of the truck with a dog sitting next to her, a young adult/teen girl and a toddler boy in the back seat, but no driver. The lady had her door open and I walked up and told her to get the **** off my property, and went off on her about who do you think you can just park where ever the hell you want. She said ok and got on the phone (I assumed to call the driver). So I decided to wait until they left. I stood in front of the truck for about 60 seconds when I decided to check the basement door of the house that they were parked by. We have been having a lot of problems with squatters sleeping in there and pooping in the house. DH and I had just gone threw the house 2 days ago because the kids thought they heard noises in the house, but there was no one there that time and all the doors were still locked and dead bolted. So told the kids to stay by the road so I could check the house. I walked up and saw that the door was open just slightly, just a crack, but I knew that meant some one was in there. I pulled my gun and chambered it......next I guess I went into swat mode, because as soon as I chambered my gun I took one good kick and threw the door open! There they were, two men who looked like they were just heading out because the woman had called them. My kids had a good view of the woman in the truck and said that as soon as I pulled my gun and kicked in the door the woman was freaking out in the truck, Man I wish I could have seen that. One guy had a crow bar and the other had a piece of copper pipe they both raised what they had at me until they realized what I had.
This is where I am disepointed at myself...... I stepped back from the door and them men walked out, no matter what I said they would not stop running for the truck to get away. But it was hard cause I was trying to get on the phone with the police. They got away!!!!!! Aaarrrggg I am so mad at myself. But really the only thing I would have done differently was have one of the kids call 911 after I sent them into the house (I did send them into the house) and I should have stood in front of the truck so they could not have left. I am so mad they did not get caught.
I doubt they will come back. They had taken some metal before (large items) and this time they were there for copper and the water tank. Then it was all about me and the police. That was a long day.

Dang, glad your ok.

Ahhhh, the aroma of cabbage,ham and potato soup is wafting through my home. A great comfort food and a great "leftover" do over.
I have this amazing recipe I came up with- and I call by a totally wrong name. It uses leftover ham, sausage or other meat, leftover potatoes, etc. I named it "Bubble and Squeak", but that's not what it is. (Bubble and Squeak is actually the name for a british recipe, but hey- just don't tell the Brits I plagarized the name!)
I just made that name up for this dish, because it sounded better than "alkalizing dinner full of sulfur rich vegetables and a little meat"
cool.png

Slice 1/2 lb of bacon in 1/2" strips, fry until crisp in heavy bottomed dutch oven or very large skillet (14"?). cook till browned
(optional: you can also add sliced keilbasa, sausages, ham, or ? if you want to actually "see" meat, - cook till browned),.
Add 2 medium size sliced sweet onions, saute until almost translucent.
If you like potatoes, add pre-cooked or steamed cubed potatoes.
Add add'l oil if needed to ensure bottom of pan doesn't burn.
Add 1 medium cabbage- sliced in long 1" strips, and stir till the cabbage is mixed well and glazed (slightly) with oil.
Pour 1/4 cup water in pan, quickly cover with lid and steam for 3-5 minutes, just until cabbage is slightly limp, but still crisp .
Serve with hearty mustard, if you like, or just plain. Pass the fresh pepper grinder around
Makes enough for 3-4 adults

It looks like this: ( I used some red cabbage this day, usually I just make it with plain ol green cabbage)

Ditto glad that you are ok..I can't believe the nerve of people thinking they can just squat in someone elses home and take over. I have heard this on the news lately and the true owners of the property do not have a leg to stand on makes absolutely no sense to me. We are not able to leave on a good month long vacation because someone has the right to go into your home and make changes then claim the place as their own? How is this possible? The laws are for the criminals.
barnie.gif

Good Grief Farmin Mama- I know who I can get to house sit when I need someone!

I miss my Blackberry- the side button was a useful tool- just push it and record. I got some great video of some tweekers in my old neighborhood that way. iPhones are not the same!

bummer you didn't get a license plate# or picture. Darn!

I just got three new hens from my brother on feb 2d. I don't know what they are. Dark red and decent sized. They still aren't laying any eggs. They were before they came here. How long could it take? Luckily my other girls are still laying. I'm getting more free girls soon and hope they do better. Integrating has been a blast! Lol.

So I didn't post much since before the holidays. It was a busy time, but then right after the holidays our beloved Golden Retriever, Gryffin, got very sick very fast. It's been a difficult process to let him go. He was always such a HUGE and happy presence in our home that the void left is like a vaccuum. Even when we hadn't seen him for 20 minutes and would find him out in the yard watching over the chickens and I would call him in the house for a "cookie", it would be a celebration because we were together again. He was a wonderful companion, a great working dog, and effective protector of all that were part of our household. He did a fantastic job keeping our home perimeter safe. We'll find someone new to love eventually because I think the best way to honor a well loved dog is to welcome another into your home, but I will tell you, when I go out at night now to close up the coops, the nights are a little darker, a lot more threatening and more lonely than they ever were before when I had my "urban farm dog" to accompany me. Here are a few of my favorite pics of our beautiful Golden boy. Thanks for letting me share. At 8 weeks - First time at the beach - 4 months How could we ever say "no" to that face? DD Lily playing with Gryffin at the "secret" beach Loving the snow - This past Christmas
Fun! I will be contacting Evergreen Golden Retriever Rescue, or may even consider a lab since I also have a friend who hosts the weekly cable television show featuring adoptable pets for the Humane Society and is also active in lab rescue. I'm just hoping to find a friend who will be compatible with another Golden in temperament not just for a play buddy but also so that we can train them to behave properly around the chickens. (And cats, and Pomeranian... ) ;)
What a beautiful boy. I'm sorry for your loss. I know what you mean about feeling the empty place by your side at night. I worry about my own Golden who is 6. They have so many health problems. I keep waiting for hemangiosarcoma to hit. 1 in 5 Golden Retrievers get it. That's where I thought you were going with your story at first. I lost my Pointer to it last summer and my Lab to osteosarcoma the summer before. Time does dull the pain and the pup I got last summer has done a lot to heal my heart. I felt like a traitor for even thinking about getting a new puppy. A good dog can never be replaced, but your heart makes room for your new friend and it helps. In my experience, Labs and Golden Retrievers are both good around poultry. My GR is actually afraid of my ducks, because the drakes chase her. My Lab just ignored them unless they bit him and then he looked annoyed and would occasionally growl, but he never chased them or hurt them. Of the two breeds, I prefer Labs, but that's just my preference. I find Goldens to be too clingy and not as smart as Labs. My Lab stayed close, but he didn't have to be right on top of me all the time. There's a really good quote about dogs that I'll have to find and post.

Back
Top Bottom