Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

other than a few short posts here and there I haven't been around much. I've been lurking though trying to keep up with what's going on with everyone! Yes, I have been busy with theater stuff. We had auditions and callbacks for LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS which will be running through May at Tacoma Little Theater. Oh My Gosh. What extremely talented singers we've got cast for that production. It's going to be a fantastic show! I've also begun rehearsals for Reservoir Dogs in Olympia. This is going to be such an interesting show in so many ways and a great challenge for me as an actor. I feel grateful for the opportunity to learn and do things I've never gotten to do before onstage playing a character unlike anything I've played before. Also, because we are playing professional criminals, (me being the crew boss) one of our rehearsals will involve spending a day with a guy who will show us how to hold and shoot guns. That will be my first time even holding a gun. Then I had an offer from another friend of mine who told me he'd take me to an indoor shooting range and teach me to use a real gun for the price of the bullets. I think I'll take him up on the offer just to aid my comfort level. I don't want to look like a newbie onstage... The process for this show is truly amazing. I also have to learn to -
"die" onstage since I get shot at the end during a big shootout. Awesome. I hope my brittle old bones learn to handle the fall correctly during lessons with our fight choreographer!
So I didn't post much since before the holidays. It was a busy time, but then right after the holidays our beloved Golden Retriever, Gryffin, got very sick very fast. We noticed right after Christmas he wasn't eating, but I got ill myself for over a week and was in bed nearly all that time. I told my husband to get canned dog food for Gryffin because that would typically prompt him to eat and when I could, I was up cooking rice and boiled chicken for him. When I could finally get out of bed, I made a vet appointment for our boy. He was at the vet's on a Monday where they ran a multitude of tests for him because by this time he was very lethargic. Gryffin, at only 5 1/2 had always been a very happy, energetic dog so it was clear something was wrong. On Tuesday they called and said "you have a very sick dog". His red blood cell count which was supposed to be around 50% was only 20% and we were advised to take him to an emergency clinic for an ultrasound to determine what might be going on with him. He was given a ton of meds and we were to bring him back to our vet on Friday to see if the meds had made any difference in his red blood cell count. On Friday morning he collapsed twice. His legs just went out from under him. DH and I had to roll him onto a blanket so we could carry him down the stairs to my car so we could get to the doctor. When he got to the front lawn he was able to walk slowly down the slight bank to where I had pulled up my car. At the vet clinic, they took another blood sample and said his red blood cell count had gone down to 8%. He had a condition called AIHA, or Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia, is a disease where the body's own immune system fails to recognize red blood cells as "self" and begins destroying these cells as if they are foreign invaders. Not only that, but he had Evan's Syndrome which attacked his platelets as well. They suggested the possibility of blood transfusions but said that even with those treatments there were no guarantees he would get better. DH broke down and said he couldn't stand to see Gryffin so unhappy and confused as to why he couldn't do any of the things he was used to doing. And all this time my sweet golden boy wagged his tail every time someone new came into the examining room, and then would lay his tired head back down. These were painful moments. His decline had been so rapid and so thoroughly wracked his body, we chose not to put him through any more treatment. His ashes came home two days later because my daughter who had been home for Christmas when he seemed perfectly healthy, never got a chance to say goodbye. Over spring break, we'll take Gryffin to our favorite ocean beach and send him down the creek that runs out of the woods and into the oceanh We'll find someone new to love eventually because I think the best way to honor a well loved dog is to welcome another into your home, but I will tell you, when I go out at night now to close up the coops, the nights are a little darker, a lot more threatening and more lonely than they ever were before when I had my "urban farm dog" to accompany me. Here are a few of my favorite pics of our beautiful Golden boy. Thanks for letting me share. At 8 weeks - j
What a wonderful dog. It is never easy but it seems it is so much harder when they are young and had been healthy. So sorry for your loss.

Well today was very eventful for me and the kids. I have one of the biggest head aches I have ever had and I think it is from all the adrenaline from the event of today.
Four out of five of our kids planned to take the dogs for a walk. As we came out of our drive way I noticed that there was a black Ford pick up parked along side of the empty house that we own on the front of our property (house is right on the road). There was a lady in her late 40's in the passenger side of the truck with a dog sitting next to her, a young adult/teen girl and a toddler boy in the back seat, but no driver. The lady had her door open and I walked up and told her to get the **** off my property, and went off on her about who do you think you can just park where ever the hell you want. She said ok and got on the phone (I assumed to call the driver). So I decided to wait until they left. I stood in front of the truck for about 60 seconds when I decided to check the basement door of the house that they were parked by. We have been having a lot of problems with squatters sleeping in there and pooping in the house. DH and I had just gone threw the house 2 days ago because the kids thought they heard noises in the house, but there was no one there that time and all the doors were still locked and dead bolted. So told the kids to stay by the road so I could check the house. I walked up and saw that the door was open just slightly, just a crack, but I knew that meant some one was in there. I pulled my gun and chambered it......next I guess I went into swat mode, because as soon as I chambered my gun I took one good kick and threw the door open! There they were, two men who looked like they were just heading out because the woman had called them. My kids had a good view of the woman in the truck and said that as soon as I pulled my gun and kicked in the door the woman was freaking out in the truck, Man I wish I could have seen that. One guy had a crow bar and the other had a piece of copper pipe they both raised what they had at me until they realized what I had.
This is where I am disepointed at myself...... I stepped back from the door and them men walked out, no matter what I said they would not stop running for the truck to get away. But it was hard cause I was trying to get on the phone with the police. They got away!!!!!! Aaarrrggg I am so mad at myself. But really the only thing I would have done differently was have one of the kids call 911 after I sent them into the house (I did send them into the house) and I should have stood in front of the truck so they could not have left. I am so mad they did not get caught.
I doubt they will come back. They had taken some metal before (large items) and this time they were there for copper and the water tank. Then it was all about me and the police. That was a long day.

they came at you, ya should have shot one in the leg or arm because they'd have to go to the ER. And it would have left DNA. Although the police might try to hold ya over night for shooting someone, But totally would have been self defense.
If you had not stepped back from the door you would have probably had to shoot them. Because it's likely that they would have charged at you to get out. And what great parenting on their part, take the baby with to go rob a place. Training the baby for it's future career? They need to go to prison, same with the woman for being their look out, and that baby needs to come here to me.
next time have a child call 911 and say "momma drew her gun on some guys that broke in" The police would be there so fast.

I just got three new hens from my brother on feb 2d. I don't know what they are. Dark red and decent sized. They still aren't laying any eggs. They were before they came here. How long could it take? Luckily my other girls are still laying. I'm getting more free girls soon and hope they do better. Integrating has been a blast! Lol.

Moving stresses birds and they usually quit laying for a while. Remember to quarantine. Don't want to accidentally bring in something bad to your current girls.

Ahhhh, the aroma of cabbage,ham and potato soup is wafting through my home. A great comfort food and a great "leftover" do over.

Head count tonight was 8 hens and 2 roos on the roost. yay!

Rascal roosted with them last night also and everything was quiet and calm today. When I opened the gate for them to free range they all came out in a fairly orderly manner. After they were out, the Blue Roo chased Rascal off. Go figure. All night and all morn, no squabbles but in the yard?

I am amazed (never had chickens b4) how the flock developes and the Roo is truely a calming factor in the flock. I watch with wonder as he literally rounds them up and heads them to the run and then into the coop before sundown. It's even earlier then the hens want to go in but he's insistent but doesn't chase anyone. He kind of sings to them deep in his throat and they seem to listen. Anybody else see this, or am I just dreaming?
I have seen it with the neighbors birds. Also when an eagle flew over the rooster would make noise and get all the hens in the coop.

Maybe this isn't the place to ask this but i think several of you have kids. Any ideas how to get the smell of vomit out of a carpet? Also how to get the stain out? I rent i cannot replace the carpet because the landlord seems to be scared i'll put a carpet in that might stain or something. The carpets are white. Why do they even make white carpet? Why would a landlord put white carpet in? I mean seriously?
All i can think is maybe rip that carpet out if i find some used carpet cheap and not say anything to the landlord. maybe it's wrong but it's a white carpet with half of that rooms floor stained pinkish red. My niece had a tall glass of powerade (red) before bed. *sigh*
I tried vinegar last night to keep the dogs away from the room and take the smell out. After the smell of vinegar was gone it went back to the puke smell. I tried lysol, Perfume, mens spray deoderant, Carpet shampoo..... All of them wore off quickly going back to the smell. :( it's just so gross. Any ideas? I'm not a mom I don't know how to clean this up.

How about rubbing some diatomaceous earth on it. My 97 yr old mother used it for cleaning rugs when I was a kid. I also understand unused coffee grounds can help with smell.

A quick hello before I get back to it!
frow.gif

So I am really excited about all the chicken math going on, it reminds me spring is around the corner (I.e. end of tax season
woot.gif
)! However, my rabbits decided to remind me too. Yesterday when I was feeding them, I ran into the garage to grab their pellets. I left the hutch open not thinking anything of it because the 2 buns I do have get along well & don't try to escape or visit the other. Ya well stinkin Chubby, girl bun, decided to visit Thumper, boy bun!!! Ya well lets just say his grand finale happened as I ran back to the hutch.
bun.gif
th.gif
he.gif

Great... So I may have New Zea's in a month if anyone is interested.

Happy Hump Day
lau.gif
bun.gif

Well today was very eventful for me and the kids. I have one of the biggest head aches I have ever had and I think it is from all the adrenaline from the event of today.
Four out of five of our kids planned to take the dogs for a walk. As we came out of our drive way I noticed that there was a black Ford pick up parked along side of the empty house that we own on the front of our property (house is right on the road). There was a lady in her late 40's in the passenger side of the truck with a dog sitting next to her, a young adult/teen girl and a toddler boy in the back seat, but no driver. The lady had her door open and I walked up and told her to get the **** off my property, and went off on her about who do you think you can just park where ever the hell you want. She said ok and got on the phone (I assumed to call the driver). So I decided to wait until they left. I stood in front of the truck for about 60 seconds when I decided to check the basement door of the house that they were parked by. We have been having a lot of problems with squatters sleeping in there and pooping in the house. DH and I had just gone threw the house 2 days ago because the kids thought they heard noises in the house, but there was no one there that time and all the doors were still locked and dead bolted. So told the kids to stay by the road so I could check the house. I walked up and saw that the door was open just slightly, just a crack, but I knew that meant some one was in there. I pulled my gun and chambered it......next I guess I went into swat mode, because as soon as I chambered my gun I took one good kick and threw the door open! There they were, two men who looked like they were just heading out because the woman had called them. My kids had a good view of the woman in the truck and said that as soon as I pulled my gun and kicked in the door the woman was freaking out in the truck, Man I wish I could have seen that. One guy had a crow bar and the other had a piece of copper pipe they both raised what they had at me until they realized what I had.
 This is where I am disepointed at myself...... I stepped back from the door and them men walked out, no matter what I said they would not stop running for the truck to get away. But it was hard cause I was trying to get on the phone with the police. They got away!!!!!! Aaarrrggg I am so mad at myself. But really the only thing I would have done differently was have one of the kids call 911 after I sent them into the house (I did send them into the house) and I should have stood in front of the truck so they could not have left. I am so mad they did not get caught.
I doubt they will come back. They had taken some metal before (large items) and this time they were there for copper and the water tank. Then it was all about me and the police. That was a long day.
Wow! That sucks (hugs)

Wow, how could I forget ground coffee? We used 1# of coffee to deodorize a trailer in the refrigerated trailers when needed. Worked like a charm. The carpet would have to be dry b4 doing this I would imagine.

lol that is what i was thinking. Although I have used coffee to dye things brown before. that would take care of the stain in there as well. I don't know if i could part with my coffee though. I just bought the cheapest one i could find for me to drink and well even that was expensive.
I tried peppermint oil on the floor. It smelt great last night, this morning stinks again. I don't know what that girl ate to make it smell so bad.
Later i'm going to see if it's dry yet if it is going to put down some baking soda for all day then vacuum it up

Back
Top Bottom