Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    You can't say that and not post a link for others to read :) http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/

Just put the rooster outside his office window :)

2. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    I have no idea what all I might have here at our new place, because it was late summer when we moved and much had stopped blooming, but also because we moved into a "fixer" and we were focused on "fixing" our living spaces quick- before the rains came.

I really enjoy sharing plants with others, and would love to have a plant exchange one day. I know there's a neat ornamental grass on the side of the house and I have a honeysuckle, but unsure what color. I'm still "finding" new plants as I go along here. However, seems the previous owners preferred perenials that do not require much care. When we moved in, the place had been vacant a year and the ice storms had pulled down trees and limbs everywhere, which had been tossed in to all of the garden beds, so once we began pulling limbs out of the beds, we began discovering plants! Like a treasure hunt!

3. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote: [​IMG]

4. Slinglings

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    Does anyone want daylilies? I have maybe 6 different types, nothing too fancy, that need dividing.

5. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Actually it is true. the laws changed. As of january 1,2013 we can have 10 poultry only including ducks, geese, chickens, and pigeons. I was in the news paper back in january.

6. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
  7. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Anyway, What works best for the deep litter system? I am considering buying some bails of hay cheap to try. I want to do a deep litter system to prevent some of the smell from the chickens. I know chickens stink, although if i didn't have chickens i'd be spreading chicken poop in my back yard anyway because my grass was dieing.

I know leaves from trees work great in the fall, but those all rotted and i need more litter to put down. I don't have access to sawdust and sawdust sets off my asthma horribly. Will hay/straw work for a deep litter system?

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    My seeds for a couple of native honeysuckles arrived yesterday.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. Slinglings

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125
    I hooked up with a dude that has a wood shop, he makes really nice salad bowls and pepper mills from madrona, cherry, pine. He gives me 4 or 5 BIG trash bags of fluffy wood shavings every few weeks in exchange for a dozen eggs :) His wife used to use it for garden mulch and finally told him "enough"! She couldn't use anymore. So I use that. Then I spread it on the garden as mulch.

I think hay/straw tends to mat down and it's hard to get rid of, for me. It sticks around a long time in the garden and compost pile. I like something that very quickly starts to look soil-like when the chickens scratch it in the garden.

10. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    my chickens aren't in a garden. they get to free rang in my yard and garden. But my garden is against the fence and I'm in the city so I wont move their pen to right by the fence. My neighbors would hate me if i did that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by