Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA

2. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    if the wood pellets are the same as the ones that a stove, or tregger grill take those don't bother me.

3. TerrorBird

TerrorBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Snohomish
    Those chickens of mine sincerely believe that they are prisoners kept in terrible conditions. When I go out there, they're happy to see me/sit on me/spend time with me. The moment I go back inside, they set to digging holes at the fencing so that they can escape. I've caught lone Belgians wandering the yard happily when everyone else is in the pen. The holes are big enough for them to slip under the fence. I have to take bricks out there and block their holes. They're just a big bunch of brats. [​IMG]

4. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
  5. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    you should contact all those people that claim chickens do not look for a way out of their pen and let them know this. My dad has old books about chickens and all claim chickens don't try to get out.
    Anyway it also helps to get a roll of wire that is about a foot tall and put it on the inside of the pen 6 inchs of it on the ground and 6inches up the fence... then put a little dirt over what is on the ground. Then your chickens cannot dig under anymore.

6. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    I changed over to pine shavings and it is so much better. It is also easier to keep the shavings dry if you don't have outside storage. I wasted several bales of hay because they got wet.

7. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    I love it , it was really good [​IMG]

8. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
  9. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    i keep the hay in my garage. When my nieces come over to play they complained before they didn't have chairs to sit on. Now they come over and use the hay bails to make couches.
    and hay that gets wet works great for planting an area with grass... you put seed down and cover it with the hay. keeps the birds from eating the grass seed.

anyway, I'll check into pellets. although I think this summer it wont take much to keep the chickens pen dry. and i have under their roost with a hard plastic sheet of plastic to collect that up to put in my garden out front. So most the stink will come from the garden.

10. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by