Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

It's official kids. I will be at the Monroe Show. It is on the calendar, so unless an emergency happens I will be there to meet peeps and see the birds.
celebrate.gif

Yep. I bought my hay in August out of the field for $3 a bale. My chickens love it. Even the chicks like to pick around in it. I shake it out all over in the outside runs. Cuts down on mud and the chickens stir it up out there too. I don't put it out too deep. I just shake it out until it's fluffy. It does keep the smell down too. I think the key to using grass hay is to not have too many chickens in too small a space. I don't let it go to long without forking it over and under. Good excerise for me and the chickens. I rake it up when it's nearly composted and take it out to the garden. Makes great mulch.
I miss having ducks.

I only have a few chickens. And anytime i'm out in the yard i let them free range.
I missed having ducks and found some muscovies cheap. got them because they are quiet ducks.

Refridgerated eggs can develop. The hatch rate is usually less than 50%. But they do. I gave Itsren 2 from my fridge to hatch and she hatched a bunch from the fridge of CR's eggs.

The young silkies I have out in the pen came from refridgerated eggs. I just used those because they were the oldest eggs I had and I know cold effects development. I kept candling them to make sure. I don't want to hatch any silkies but their eggs are very different from any in the large fowl coop. The birds will not sit on the plastic eggs anymore. They toss them out. They think golf balls will kill them. So I just used real eggs.

Quote: Ahem, water boarding is not allowed just to get egg production up!
tongue2.gif

Chickens don't try to get out??? BALONEY MAHONEY
Ok, are we sure they are really trying to get out, or are they just doing what they do best, Scratching and digging? Mine dig holes all over the place. And always seem to try to get at things around the fence line, but they haven't ever dug enought to get out. I do have a chicken wire apron around my run to keep predators from digging and getting in, but haven't found I needed it to keep chickens in. Maybe you guys need to make your runs more fun......like a chicken playground!
lau.gif
Not sure what you'd put in it though.

Ok, are we sure they are really trying to get out, or are they just doing what they do best, Scratching and digging? Mine dig holes all over the place. And always seem to try to get at things around the fence line, but they haven't ever dug enought to get out. I do have a chicken wire apron around my run to keep predators from digging and getting in, but haven't found I needed it to keep chickens in. Maybe you guys need to make your runs more fun......like a chicken playground!
lau.gif
Not sure what you'd put in it though.

wait you mean i'm the only one that hangs things in the chicken run for the chickens to play with, and puts boards up for them to get up on and stuff... Baking a seed cake then inserting a string and hanging it for them to peck at.
i would put a slide in for them but I don't think they would like it.

Hi there, I'm very excited to get my first chicks next week and will be purchasing them from my local Costal Farm and Ranch the first day they came in. But somebody told me that the chicks from there can often end up disabled or have diseases is this true? Or are the birds from there pretty good?

x2 on the hay- it's a mess. I made that mistake and have been changing to pine shavings- much nicer. The girsl have been doing an awesome job tilling everything up!
I'm in on the pine shavings. I use the white shavings bails you get from Del's or Kippert's it doesn't seem to be overly dusty,we also use it is side for Sonny the Guinea Pigs cage.

Hi there, I'm very excited to get my first chicks next week and will be purchasing them from my local Costal Farm and Ranch the first day they came in. But somebody told me that the chicks from there can often end up disabled or have diseases is this true? Or are the birds from there pretty good?

frow.gif
. I have no experience with chicks from Coastal. My first were from Wilco Farm Stores. I would hope that if Coastal had issues they would have changed hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom