Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Peat moss comes from peat bogs. It takes THOUSANDS of YEARS to form. It is also a delicately balanced ecosystem. Compost on the other hand takes WEEKS to form.

Freedom of choice is fine so long as you do no harm. Destroying ecosystems to use an irreplacable substance when there are much better substitutes is wrong.

Did I mention inhaling the dust can cause permanent lung damage? If your chickens are digging in it, and scratching it up in their coops and runs, they are breathing in the dust.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. beausonge

beausonge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Kelso, WA

3. ReberRanch

ReberRanch New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Hi! We're from Kent and are now on the forum!
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Hi ReberRanch,

I'm a long time customer, as are several others on here. I'm planning on stopping by on my way to work today. See ya then.

5. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125

It is petrified sphagnum and basically unfinished coal. By harvesting and using peat, coal isn't forming that could be. It's an unnecessary use of fossil fuel. There are lots of other options.

I Think it damages the environment it is harvested from, but I don't know anything about that part.
  6. Breshcandra

Breshcandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    Sad day today. There is a very stong chance I am going to have to put my 7 year cat to sleep. Took him to the vet this morning and they discovered he has almost no kidney function. They are doing one last test to see if there is any viable kidney left. One of the kidneys he couldn't even find.
  7. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Long time shopper in your store, we love it there and were just there yesterday! Thanks for a great family run business.
  8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm so sorry. It's hard.

I had to put my old lady cat down a couple weeks ago.

9. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    Thanks for bringing this up- lots of folks don't know about peat.

We use Coir- which is the fiber from the outer coconut husk, and can be used for the things people use peat moss for. With all of the popularity of coconut products these days, it's become easily available. We use it in my son's tarantula cage as the base/bedding. It's also known as "coco fiber". Comes in a very solid brick.
  10. Totalcolour

Totalcolour Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm all for only using sustainable products if possible. We need to pay more attention to our planet, since it's the only home we have and are ever likely to have. We have destroyed so much already.
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by