Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    ADD and ADHD are real disorders but are very over diagnosed now. My niece that can sit for HOURS watching tv, reading a book, doing whatever... Her TEACHER diagnosed her with ADHD. BTW she's lazy, getting her to go for a walk or to play outside results in her screaming "your mean"
    What really makes me mad is that her parents took the diagnosis to a doctor that would listen to what the teacher diagnosed. Teachers should NOT diagnose children at all. voicing their concerns and suggesting getting them tested fine but to actually state that a child has a mental illness or disorder is wrong. Personally I feel that her teacher should be fired.
    She is on ADD/ADHD medication i don't remember what one. But the only good thing about it is while on the medication she's got energy. she's up saying lets go for a walk, can i go outside. It is however abusing the medication. Me not giving it to her for a weekend would do more harm then good because she'd suffer withdrawls then be tossed back on it when she goes home.

I know my nieces issues, what she does and doesn't have. I raised her for 7 years. she NEVER had any issues with homework while with me. Her parents simply set her at a table say "do you work" and walk off. It's not a matter of lack of attention for why she wouldn't do her work. She needed help she wasn't getting. I never did her homework for her (though her parents claim i did) I would have her read the problem out loud and then she would work it out. If it was wrong I would show her what she did wrong.

sorry the subject brought up a lot of emotions in me mostly anger from teachers that diagnose kids :(

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle

3. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle

4. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    best way to solve the issue of someone taking your eggs. The eggs in an incubator that aren't fertile, or get a blood ring.. set them in a specific nest at night. leave them out there a day or two as long as your hens don't eat them and they don't blow up. It works wonders. I took some back to my parents because they thought an animal was getting eggs from their coop. their neighbor came over and asked if he could buy some eggs that never had any interest in eggs before. He also was seen throwing out several brown eggs that smelled horrible LOL

My dad confronted him about it. Asking how the eggs tasted, if there were any baby chicks in them.... My parents went from getting no eggs to 2 eggs a day to getting 6 to 12 eggs a day.

5. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle

6. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    [​IMG] This is why I love home schooling. My oldest is, of course, just a BOY. He has no disabilities or conditions. But he's a WILD boy. It's a challenge to get him to sit...so we don't make him sit. When he reads out loud to me, he walks around the room with his book, or flops upside down all over the couch, non-stop movement. It's a bit comical but he's such a smart boy and sitting still requires to much of his energy and then he can't learn. THAT, however, isn't ADD. That's BOYS. Yes, sometimes boys just need discipline to focus (they have to be taught to focus too, it doesn't come naturally to some, and most of those people don't need meds). I do believe in ADHD because DH is on Aderall and he's a different man when he's on it, focused, works hard, enjoys life. When he's not on it he's impossible to talk to, closed off, disorganized, and just not a fun person. His mind is chaos when he's off meds.

7. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    that takes me back to being a kid. Getting in trouble in class for getting up to stretch, walk around. I couldn't sit that long still can't. My back cramps up if i sit to long. I would get up as a kid when my back started to hurt and it was treated like I was a bad kid because of it.
    Schools are a one size fits all and we all know that one size fits all doesn't work.

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    That doesn't mean anything that she can sit for hours doing something she enjoys. It's called hyperfocus and many people with ADD have it. I can sit for hours reading, too, but I rarely sit all the way through a movie. People with ADHD are often labeled "lazy." That raises a red flag for me.

And I agree, teachers can't diagnose kids, but they do see a lot of kids and probably know what to look for.
    Exactly. Are you watching you son for symptoms?

9. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Nothing to see thus far. He's just a boy, acting like a boy. He's a GOOD boy too, loves to please and only rarely does he truly need discipline. He's smart and I allow him to learn however he learns best, so far we've needed nothing to help him. DH also didn't have a problem with any ADHD until after his military days as an adult.

10. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by