Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    That's what I was thinking- the wind has been blowing crazy today- from directions we normally don't get wind. The temporary roofing we put over the 2nd pen was blowing all over- poor hens were looking a little nervous!

2. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    wow, I have those 2 exact bird feeders in my yard. What a coincidence.

(for the record, I think wi-fi and cell towers emitting RF are wreaking havoc- and there's countless European studies substantiating that. )

3. RainMom

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    sadly, the cotton batting is almost positively poisonous, full of tons of pesticides (It takes 10 lbs of pesticide to make 1 lb of cotton!),[​IMG] and of course, US beds are all treated with flame retardants- and much more. (While they are supposedly being reduced and phased out, we're very far from them being gone.) Adding water to the cotton would leach out all of the toxins, I am afraid.

".... Since the mid- to late '60s, most mattresses have been made of polyurethane foam, a petroleum-based material that emits volatile organic compounds that can cause respiratory problems and skin irritation. Formaldehyde, which is used to make one of the adhesives that hold mattresses together, has been linked to asthma, allergies, and lung, nose, and throat cancers. And then there are cotton pesticides and flame-retardant chemicals, which can cause cancer and nervous-system disorders. In 2005, Walter Bader, owner of the "green mattress" company Lifekind and author of the book Toxic Bedrooms, sent several mattresses to an Atlanta-based lab. A memory-foam model was found to emit 61 chemicals, including the carcinogens benzene and naphthalene....."

I don't know about you, but I would not want that in my garden beds.[​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I live literally just a few blocks from Rolling Hills, and have had the smart meters for about 10 years. Been so long I can't remember how long they've been in, just a few years less than the 15 I've lived here. There is no decrease in the number of birds and I'm seeing several new species have shown up, that I didn't see the first few years I lived here.
    I would suspect that the influx of Starlings, Pigeons, Doves, and more Crows is more likely the culprit of moving the little songbirds along. I have 6 bird feeders of different kinds in the yard, and when they are full, my yard is flush with the little birds- Wrens, Bush Tits, Robins, and most numerous are the Chickadees. As well as dozens of other species, and year round Hummingbirds.
    Russ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Evening Peeps! Long time no see. Busy Busy here at the farm, as always. The girls are starting back in to their laying cycles now that the daylight is returning (thank goodness). Hope to be around more, sorry I have been away so long.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Instead of mattresses maybe we would be better off sleeping on a prison bed, I don't think they have mattresses at all.

7. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    Wow, either would I. Scratch that idea. I am super sensitive to chemicals. I get asthma from almost anything that they have put smell into. We are getting a new bed Tuesday. I hope it doesn't cause me problems! I didn't get an all foam one for that reason.

8. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    I love this guys wishful thinking. Made me laugh. OK fess up. Did you post this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/zip/3632039354.html

FREE CHICKEN POOP YOU SCOOP (MAPLE VALLEY)

It is in a small chicken house that is 6'x8' and has about 4" of hard packed chicken poop. you scope.

9. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    We dig wiggy :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Velvet Fog good to see you again. Have you been awol or has my poor memory gone south?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by