Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    Oh No. Let's hope she shows up. The feeling of having to watch your birds for vandalism is awful. I'm watching for a egg stealer.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Jess, I hope she is just riding out the night somewhere. You guys may want to rethink that dog in a year or two thing.

3. cieraphoto

cieraphoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Puyallup, WA
    That is hilarious!
    Oh no! I hope you find her :(

4. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    it's 8x10, and has 8 foot walls
    the peak of the roof is 10 ft.
    Moving it about 25 miles

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

So long as paddling isn't one of the alternatives.

6. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop

I'm not sure how your door locks but could the wind have blown it open? I sure hope you find her.

7. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

8. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

9. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Thanks. I will take a pic tomorrow of the latch. I hope it was just a strange happening and she's out in the yard scared tonight. Rather that than dead :(

10. Greg Richardson

Greg Richardson Chillin' With My Peeps

Renton residents trying to solve mystery of disappearing birds

By Tracy Vedder Published: Feb 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM PST

RENTON, Wash. -- It's like a Hitchcock move, only in reverse. Rather than flocking in epic proportions, the birds in a Renton neighborhood seem to have disappeared.

And like any good mystery, neighbors have a culprit in mind.

The landscape in Paul Oullette's backyard looks empty. He's traded out his bigger bird feeders for smaller ones, and they're still stubbornly half full.

"Our birds are gone. Why?" he said.

Winter is usually his busy season for birds, but not this year.

"You get more and more birds because they're hungry, there's no food out there," he said.

This year the flickers and finches, as well as the hummingbirds and chickadees, are rare visitors.

"I spend usually $30 a month on bird seed, and I haven't bought any now for three months," Oullette said.

And Oullette's not alone in missing the birds. His neighbors in Renton's Rolling Hills subdivision noticed the same thing: The feeders are full and the birds are gone.

Neighbors think they know why the birds have disappeared. They think it's the fault the new water meters that were recently installed.

The "smart meters" automatically transmit data about each home's water usage five times a day. The machines could save Renton as much as $800,000 a year.

"So the payback for this is pretty phenomenal," said Renton spokeswoman Preeti Shridhar.

In spite of the savings, smart meters across the country are spurring backlash, with local groups claiming everything from inaccurate billing to human health hazards. Residents also worry the low-level radio frequencies hurt wildlife.

Renton leaders insist the meters are safe.

"One of the things is we made sure that the frequencies that these meters used are FCC approved and regulated," Shridhar said.

Oullete wants the city to implement a moratorium on any more meters until someone studies their effects on wildlife. The city's Utilities Committee will look into the issue during a Monday public hearing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by