Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Travis - I took down the chicken wire separating Lucy from the flock and she's so much happier! She and the chicks too a LONG dust bath tonight in the run. It was so cute! Ethel (her sister) stood over her disapprovingly clucking loudly the entire time she showed the chicks how to dust bathe in the run. It was hilarious. Only one chick has received a major peck from a big girl...and the chick deserved it. She tried to steal food from another hen's mouth and said hen gave her a peck on the head she'll never forget; she ran away to the corner and stood whimpering and peeping for several minutes before coming out again. Sad...but part of chicken life! She's 2 weeks old tomorrow.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Great. I know Betty Lu will love it once I let her out too, pretty sure she will go for the bathing tub

3. robj

robj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Olympia Wa.
    Cute Lil Guy

4. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I need to go sweep the garage by where my roo and his hens are. However, every time I go near him, he starts squawking. Should I just continue about my buissness and let him get used to me? Or give him awhile? I've been trying to bribe them with mealworms, and it's working with the hens, but not him.

5. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa

6. FirewifeJess

FirewifeJess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Gallifrey
    Hold him upside down for a while until he gains a new perspective. I don't think bribery works well with roos, only hens.

7. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I thought that's what you did with mean roo's? He's not mean and he hasn't come at me, he just was not handled by the breeder. But I guess if he continues squawking I'll have to do that since he needs to get used to me for shows and cage cleaning.

8. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
    b4 scattering their scratch or cracked corn, I've made it a point to give my roo first peck at it. I carry it out in a plastic pitcher, dribble a little in front of him then tip the pitcher over so he can see and feed from it. It took a few tries but now he 'Johnny on the Spot" when I bring out treats and he knows he gets first choice.
    It's kinda funny, his favorite hens can come up and chow down with him out of the pitcher but the ones lower on his list get a corrective peck on the head to remind them he's the Roo.
    That's a 180 degree turn from last summer when I got him from Chickeelady. [​IMG]

PS he will take treats from my hand now and take corn from the palm of my hand. Pretty neat.

9. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Hmm, I may just have to try that. Maybe he'll change his mind about me? Lol.

10. Slinglings

Slinglings Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Seattle 98125

My mom made this when I was a kid <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by