Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    He gets 1 to 2 lbs of meat per day. Often chicken (because it's cheap) I keep the breast meat for myself and feed my dogs the dark meats. They also get lots of pork, Heart of various animals (heart is loaded with taurine). Feeding a raw diet my dogs get more taurine then cat food (kibble) has in it.
    I'll cover it with my vet if it's a good idea to add more taurine or not. Because I wouldn't want to over dose him on it. Like i said he gets a lot right now as is. He isn't fed grains and veggies. he's fed 80% muscle 10% bone 10% liver/kidney

Food - Taurine content
    Pork meat - 1180
    Pork heart - 2000
    Shellfish - 3320
    Pork kidney - 1200
    Crab - 2780
    Pork liver - 420
    Prawn - 1430
    Chicken breast - 260
    Sole - 2560
    Chicken leg - 3780

2. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    how long has it been in the incubator? they shouldn't get pasty butt while still in the incubator. Do you have a brooder ready? if not get it ready take the chick out and clean it's butt with a damp (warm) paper towel.

3. cieraphoto

cieraphoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Puyallup, WA
    I am going to buy an incubator tomorrow and am having trouble choosing between still air and circulated air. I am leaning more towards circulated. What is everyones opinion on either type? And what incubator do you have?

4. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    She's a Doll

5. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    Congratulations on your little one- she's darling!

6. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    It's got something stuck to its rear! Maybe not pasty butt but it's got something... And it's brown.

7. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    what is the price difference? because you can also install a computer fan (that you can get on e-bay for $3) into a still air incubator.
    I've always done still air but recently put in computer fans to my incubators. It helps keep the air the same temp all over the incubator instead of being hot on top, warm in the middle and cold on the bottom.
    It's also easier for me to control the humidity in a circulated air. in a still air it stayed high all the time.

8. Lutefisk

Lutefisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    how is his weight? If he's not very underweight I would try a bone broth/coconut oil fast for a few days. Digestion places a heavy load on the heart and it might help him get through the acute issue he is having now to not need to deal with solid food. Also make sure he's getting plenty of magnesium (to bowel tolerance), this can help prevent spasms (spasm of the coronary arteries is a big factor in heart attacks).

9. mikeyb

mikeyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Rochester, Wa
    Welcome little lady. You are adorable.
    You do good work momma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    if he goes without food he starts vomiting. even with broth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by