Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    I bet there's something you can do to make Demon feel better and extend his life. You might even end up curing him.

I've been helping some friends who have a yellow lab with cancer- and she's still alive and happy- for a year now- with holistic medicine.

For instance, just now- I googled "Dog enlarged heart" and am reading this article that states Taurine (dirt cheap amino acid) plus Carnitine and CoQ10 are helpful.
    Here, check this out: http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogenlargedheart.html

BTW- I used to buy all the amino acid supplements and stuff like MSM, glucosamine, chondroitan, & Carnitine for my son and I from this company in Maine that sells in bulk, dirt cheap. Check out "Beyond a Century" online catalog- flat fee shipping $5.

Good Luck.

2. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Thanks. Taurine is in raw meats naturally though. And he eats only raw meaty bones + organ meats. I've started him on aspirin therapy (one small dose per day as vet said to). I'll check out carnitine and CoQ10 He really doesn't like taking pills. He also gets fish oil on his food daily.
    it's just his gums are white and the vets all say it's due to his heart. not a good sign. I think that heart attack caused some damage that can't be undone.

3. Lutefisk

Lutefisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    i hope you're not beating yourself up over his heart disease. It sounds like you are doing the very best thing anyone could for him, and he'd probably be gone by now if you weren't.

4. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    By any chance did you compare the weight of the packets from Walmart vs mail order? I've seen differences in some products at Walmart.

5. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    I'm beating myself up because there is nothing i can do now. I feel so helpless. he's not just a pet but my service dog. he is a HUGE part of my life. losing him feels like i'm losing my freedom.

6. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    I think we caught a glimpse of a small green Yoda-like fella at the Empire State Building today! [​IMG]

Stay tuned for future updates!

7. TacomaFarms

TacomaFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Sorry to hear about Demon [​IMG]

i have 4 more pips.

8. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa

9. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    oh it's okay that not all 6 dozen are fertile. Trust me it's fine LOL. I told my mom how many i have and told her if half hatch that we're done hatching for the year. If more then half hatch then she is planning on picking out a rooster for her neighbor and a few pullets.
    i was looking at black hawk holsters a month ago. But wasn't sure of the size of gun i'd be carrying. I have two guns that are different sizes. Now that i have decided i need to go pick a holster out that fits me.

Thank you and everyone else for the emotional support. I am trying to enjoy demon. Taking pictures of him. I want to remember good memories of him. I probably have a million photos of him already.

10. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state

Generally, the dosage of supplements added to foods isn't high enough to be effective. It might be worth a try to supplement with CoQ10 and taurine.

So sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I treasure the last few months I had with my Lab. It was a very special time and he was very happy being the "King of the House" and getting all my attention. I pulled a futon mattress into the living room so he could sleep with me every night (he had his leg amputated to get rid of the cancer). He loved it.

Just try to enjoy what time you have left. There will be plenty of time to mourn later. (((Hugs)))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by