Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Then you'll be able to do fun stuff like this!

On Tuesday we got 6 eggs - the most I've ever had in a day! We started keeping chickens last spring and the most we have had up until now has been 5 in a day. As I said, it took a long while for my 2 Wellies and Ameraucanas to start laying - one Am still hasn't yet! Once she begins and my 2 youngest CL start laying I will have 11 hens laying. Whoopee!

My last post from my phone (where all my pictures are) didn't post :(

Glad to hear those girls are laying, JulesChick! And what a nice assortment of colors you are getting.
You should start getting an egg a day from those Wellies. I have been very pleased with the production rates of these new girls.

Here is a couple of pictures of mine for comparison......some have speckles, some lay a nice matte brown.....they look to be around 4 on the Marans scale, but have that nice terra cotta undertone. Good luck with your sleuthing.....maybe you will catch someone on the nest and get a hint......or listen for their egg song, I don't know about Marans, but Wellies seem to be very loud when it comes to egg songs.

I need some advice. I'm thinking about getting two Chicks, this would bring me to my maximum number of chickens that I want. Or should I say that I can have:) I am worried that if I lose one then I would be trying to integrate just one chicken into the flock. Should I buy three just in case, or risk it with only two. These would be from the local feed store. I didn't have any trouble last time I got checks, all three tived to maturity.

I need some advice. I'm thinking about getting two Chicks, this would bring me to my maximum number of chickens that I want. Or should I say that I can have:) I am worried that if I lose one then I would be trying to integrate just one chicken into the flock. Should I buy three just in case, or risk it with only two. These would be from the local feed store. I didn't have any trouble last time I got checks, all three tived to maturity.
as long as they are warm and fed as with others you raised just get the two I would say

I'd get the two. With good care, and picking up the chicks nearly as soon as they are delivered to the feed store, they have a very good chance.

I have the breed list and the dates of when the chicks will be delivered. Is it difficult to integrate just one chicken into a group? I'm not expecting anything to happen, and I'm going to hope for all females, but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom