Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Does anybody have experience with Rhode island whites or white Plymouth rocks?

I love my Plymouth bard rocks, I have 5 and love them they are friendly and give eggs daily. I am probably not the one to speak of rhode islands my 2 where red and such a pesky pair I finally gave them away :idunno

I'll X2 on the barreds! Heck partridge rock for that matter too, my big daddy roo is one, and we lI've him to pieces!
When I was young, neighbors had RI and they were mean, so I've not bothered with them in my flock.

Road Island whites are a different Breed Then Rd., Island reds, at least that's what it says under the breed section. They might be a little nicer than the Reds. But I think I will go with the white Plymouth rocks. I've heard great things about bard rocks. Of course, I won't be able to till two or three white chickens apart :-( I like the thought of getting two or three different breeds but the store gets different breeds every week and there's no way of telling Bill be any left over going into the next week. Oh well, there's more things to worry about in life than that I guess :)
In another thread somebody said that you can integrate even three or five week old chicks into a group and that it's easier then when they are in adult. I'm obviously going to have to research that a little more, so far all I've read is that you should wait until they are similar in size.

Road Island whites are a different Breed Then Rd., Island reds, at least that's what it says under the breed section. They might be a little nicer than the Reds. But I think I will go with the white Plymouth rocks. I've heard great things about bard rocks. Of course, I won't be able to till two or three white chickens apart :-( I like the thought of getting two or three different breeds but the store gets different breeds every week and there's no way of telling Bill be any left over going into the next week. Oh well, there's more things to worry about in life than that I guess :)
In another thread somebody said that you can integrate even three or five week old chicks into a group and that it's easier then when they are in adult. I'm obviously going to have to research that a little more, so far all I've read is that you should wait until they are similar in size.
As far as integrating chicks (even younger than 3 weeks!), Blooie wrote an article on this. It talks about the Mama Heating pad, but also setting the chicks up within view of the older hens right from the start.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

I actually just got done reading that article. I don't have heat in the coop is the problem. I do have electricity in the garage though. So I think we will probably end up in there relatively quickly with the heat lamp.
I am beginning to think I should wait a little while to get chicks. I'm in the process of planning a new bigger coop and my hope was to integrate all the chickens of various ages into that new coop and run all at once. But I don't think that's going to really work out very well. I think it will be better to get that coop done before I think about getting any Little ones. Then I can set up a smaller pan inside of that run and slowly integrate them that way, when the weather is warmer.

I actually just got done reading that article. I don't have heat in the coop is the problem. I do have electricity in the garage though. So I think we will probably end up in there relatively quickly with the heat lamp.
I am beginning to think I should wait a little while to get chicks. I'm in the process of planning a new bigger coop and my hope was to integrate all the chickens of various ages into that new coop and run all at once. But I don't think that's going to really work out very well. I think it will be better to get that coop done before I think about getting any Little ones. Then I can set up a smaller pan inside of that run and slowly integrate them that way, when the weather is warmer.
That is probably a good idea. Might as well give everyone the best start that you can!

I used the Mama heating pad with my second set of chicks, and they LOVED it, running in and out all day.
You ought to use it in your garage: very easy to make. (you want the heating pad that does not have 'auto shut off', Sunbeam is the brand)

Last edited:
I just had the garage built, it is almost done. Hopefully I can get it in some sort of order by the time I get the checks. I could always keep them in the house for a couple weeks. Darn Siri, she keeps saying checks instead of chicks! I'm going to have to think on this for a while. The problem is the kind of chickens I want to store only has for a week. Then they get different breeds throughout the summer.

You will find a wealth of information on the byc website for just about anything to do with most anything but the best on chickens. I spoil my birds even now they have their heat lamp. We have only been in our place since October and have not run proper electrical to the "barn" or coop as mine are 2, 17 square foot geodesic domes. your ideas sound great I wish you success.
old.gif

Great idea. I like to lay evergreen branches in run, too (see background of your photo). Keeps feet off wet earth a bit.
Thanks!

I almost tossed the branches somewhere else but I have been having an issue with poor drainage and muddy areas where my chickens have been free ranging I thought that would be a better use of the branches. I am glad I did that, my eggs have been much cleaner since then! The chickens seem to like scratching around in them too.

Thanks!

I almost tossed the branches somewhere else but I have been having an issue with poor drainage and muddy areas where my chickens have been free ranging I thought that would be a better use of the branches. I am glad I did that, my eggs have been much cleaner since then! The chickens seem to like scratching around in them too.
I am going start doing that never thought of it but makes for dryer feet in the rain and mud having 9 light brahams

Back
Top Bottom