Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

mixedbreeds

Crowing
Aug 10, 2016
Washington State, Coulee City
I have two Marans hens in my small flock of originals that kick all the straw out of the nesting boxes as soon as I leave. They are the ones that lay in the corners. It is aggravating if they didn’t lay such pretty eggs I would give them a lesson about Marie Antoinette.

mixedbreeds

Crowing
Aug 10, 2016
Washington State, Coulee City
I know think they can tell but when I have my stick they get out of the way, not that I hurt them with it. I have a little Blue Icebar rooster that has been tid biting me (spelling) for quite a while it’s pretty funny he only does it when I’m outside the pen, he must pick up 30 pieces of straw per minute to show me.

Chickielady

Spiritwood Farms
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Raymond, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi guys, my name is Amy. Penny1960 invited me to the thread for WA chicken keepers. I'm in Western Washington.

Since we all know what it's like living in the land of perpetual overcast, I'm curious to hear what sort of material you have in your runs (wood chips/straw/?) to keep the mud at bay, and I'm also curious how many sqft of venting you have per chicken in your coops. I've asked on other threads, and people have been quite helpful, so I hope none of them find it insulting that I ask again here, I'm just curious to see what people who live specifically in my climate do.

Oh, and do any of you have coops on stilts? If so, any issues with them sinking in the mud?

Pea gravel in the coop runs, except the feild & orchard they are allowed in.
Compressed starw nest boxes, and Either white or red shavings in the coops which are off the ground, have a plywood floor and poop trays under the roosts. Coops get gutted out about every 4 months, and poop trays are cleaned every week.
Spotless, and NO ammonia.
Shavings taken out of the poop trays and coop floors are dumped into compost and produce an amazing garden !

Leigti

Songster
Oct 22, 2015
Walla Walla WA
Pea gravel in the coop runs, except the feild & orchard they are allowed in.
Compressed starw nest boxes, and Either white or red shavings in the coops which are off the ground, have a plywood floor and poop trays under the roosts. Coops get gutted out about every 4 months, and poop trays are cleaned every week.
Spotless, and NO ammonia.
Shavings taken out of the poop trays and coop floors are dumped into compost and produce an amazing garden !
Your coop sounds a lot like mine. But I use PDZ on the poop board. But even with the PDC everything was frozen solid and I couldn’t even scrape it off the board. This summer I’m going to put down some linoleum or something to make it easier. Do you think I should switch to shavings on the board rather than PDC? The PTZ dries out everything so well and there’s no smell. Are use pine shavings in the rest of the coop.

penny1960

Coffee Club
Premium member
Dec 29, 2015
Mossyrock, WA
who was the thief ???
One of the newest to move here they are decent folks but he bought on dozen was a tad shocked at the price 3.50 not bad more then the store just then .. fixed one of our mowers kinda but became very comfortable walking through the front drive gate these are actually on the front of the yard and the other at the back so put a lock on the gate bought a trail cam .. the lock seem t6o have gotten the message getting 9 to 12 now

Top Bottom