Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

And to make things worse, my furnace died on Friday. They are supposed to come tomorrow to fix it. So I’ve had a couple space heaters in the house to try to keep the pipes from freezing. But they still froze last night. By the time I got home from work today they were flowing again. So that’s good at least. I’m really getting tired of this cold. Thankfully I have electricity. So I’m able to keep all the reptiles warm and my new baby chicks. I got three blue laced red wine dots. I had four but one died the day I got it. It’s snowing again out there. And tomorrow it’s supposed to snow and have freezing rain oh yippee. Hope everybody’s doing OK and staying warm.

Yup defiantly been cold enough to freeze eggs. I have been keeping lots of fresh straw in the nest boxes and good piles of straw in areas where some of them lay in corners of the coop those are the ones I have had freeze in the past. There are enough hens laying they keep the eggs in the nest boxes from freezing, the extra straw seemed to help the corner layers eggs from freezing.

Gee @Leigti are they rhode island reds by any chance those are the only ones ever had that with bout drove me batty they would jump in the nesting boxes right behind me :he

I have two Marans hens in my small flock of originals that kick all the straw out of the nesting boxes as soon as I leave. They are the ones that lay in the corners. It is aggravating if they didn’t lay such pretty eggs I would give them a lesson about Marie Antoinette.

I know think they can tell but when I have my stick they get out of the way, not that I hurt them with it. I have a little Blue Icebar rooster that has been tid biting me (spelling) for quite a while it’s pretty funny he only does it when I’m outside the pen, he must pick up 30 pieces of straw per minute to show me.

Back
Top Bottom