Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Got our first colored egg today! A pretty pale blue/green, so it’s from one of 3 EE (my little scissor beak doesn’t look “ready” to lay to me, but everyone will be 25 weeks on Monday, making the freeloaders 5 weeks passed the late maturity listed on the company’s info pages).

Meanwhile, the whole flock is really going at my little Scissor girl, Shadow! Today, they’ve ripped up her back end! After I put Hen Healer on it, I noticed it’s still weeping blood (she got attacked while I was taking clips off the gate to get in to feed them). Right now, she’s locked in their coop eating her daily feed of mash in her tote (so it makes less mess), but now I’m afraid to open the door and let her be around the rest of them! When she’s done eating, I may go out and sit with them, but my being there with her seems to make them act worse? The rest of them don’t even like me! Shadow loves to be held and snuggled…she’s half their size and always seems “cold”. I know she’s on the bottom of the pecking order, that’s very obvious, but how do I keep them from being so mean (human emotion…I know…it’s silly, but I love my cuddly little breakfast maker).

Attachments

• 5C44EFB7-D07C-47BB-94BC-4C0B8B80ACF5.jpeg
    5C44EFB7-D07C-47BB-94BC-4C0B8B80ACF5.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 35DE69EF-C2A8-4847-80B3-338AB3C1D409.jpeg
    35DE69EF-C2A8-4847-80B3-338AB3C1D409.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 438931E3-2466-4547-8ADC-2F707632D9E1.jpeg
    438931E3-2466-4547-8ADC-2F707632D9E1.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 0
Are you able to remove the one or two picking on her for a coupl days often that can change the pecking order ..
I didn't even think of that, lol. I've got my old coop and run I can throw the trouble maker in. I did go lock Peaches in the coop while everyone else was in the yard...she's definitely my problem...I'll go get the stored items out of the other coop and throw her in it later today (after school).

I didn't even think of that, lol. I've got my old coop and run I can throw the trouble maker in. I did go lock Peaches in the coop while everyone else was in the yard...she's definitely my problem...I'll go get the stored items out of the other coop and throw her in it later today (after school).
Take at least 2 birds out that way easier to put them back

I "fixed" my picking issue for the most part now...2 big bowls of mash fed to everyone provides enough for my scissor beak to get what she needs (she even did something besides dig in the feed all day yesterday). At least they're mostly ignoring her again and not trying to tear her apart anymore! The Hen Healer is such a mess...I have BluKote on order, I couldn't find it locally.

She's taken to sleeping in the covered nest box on the wall, because they won't roost with her. When I put her up on the roost, they all gather at the other end (2 9' roosts for the 13 of them)...as long as I make sure my BCM is the "closest" to her, she sneaks down the roost after everyone else is asleep and tucks herself up against my BCM and tries to practically get under her. I worry about her in this cold weather because she's always secluded from everyone else.

She's still half the size of everyone else and if I hadn't gotten all of them at the same time as new hatches from the hatchery, I'd swear she's several weeks behind the rest in age (very under developed, she still as a little chick voice too). They'll all be 25 weeks tomorrow.

Seeing as your in Olympia there is a poulty auction every other weekend.. Cole Creek Auction is the name they have a website or phone to check the weekends.
Welcome to the state thread
Thanks for the info I wasn't aware it existed, I'll check it out. We've only lived here a little over a year so dont have everything mapped out yet.

Back
Top Bottom