Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

If I don't have another coop or alternate means of housing my chickens, how would I go about painting the inside of the coop? Wouldn't the fumes still be pretty strong and toxic to the chickens by nighttime if they slept in there same day? I want to paint in there next summer but don't know how I could possibly do an entire coop clean, let it dry, and paint in one day. Should I wait for a hot spell during the summer and just force them to sleep outside on the roost in the chicken run?

Hi again, glad to see you back and talking through your ideas. First, a hen that's been laying for a year or two would traditionally be called a "stewing hen" and for some recipes is the only chicken that is considered suitable such as Coq au Vin. It is my mother's favorite bird for making chicken and noodles because it's age gives it much more flavor. She would cook it in a pressure cooker, but a slow cooker would achieve the same thing. If you try to buy a stewing chicken now days you will pay a big premium for it. Another use would be for stock. If you're expecting it to be anything like a fryer, you'll be very disappointed. I think that the term dual purpose is meant to convey that the bird can be raised for either a meat bird or a layer. If you choose to raise it as a meat bird you would feed it accordingly and butcher it at a young age so it's tender. (Others... please correct me if I'm wrong about this.) Our grandparents and great grandparents were far less picky, I believe, and would never waste the meat. Thus they butchered and ate the older hens when they no longer layed well. My grandmother, born 1875, certainly did, and all 9 of her children followed suit during the depression.

The flock rotation makes sense to me, and there are several breeds that will do well for you. Your plan will certainly stagger the effects of age, molting, etc. If you're less interested in eating the old hens you might consider red, gold, and black sex links (also called Stars or Comets). Generally speaking, they are slightly smaller (thus less meaty), eat less, mild mannered, and very good layers. Again, I would recommend good breeders rather than feed store birds. There are many breeds that can be crossed to produce sex link birds and the parentage will have an effect on the quality of the offspring. Large commercial breeders that supply feed stores aren't always that concerned about the finer points. It's more important to them to be able to simply sex the chicks accurately. Some people have gone so far as to say that the big breeders use poorer quality stock so the customers will have to buy new chicks more often. I have no idea if that's true.
I love you CarolynF. Your quality of information is priceless and gives me a lot to mull over.
Cooking is quickly becoming a favourite hobby of mine. I will definitely try this recipe. It will be perfect for those cool, wet Northwest springs.

I'll check out the sex links. I've seen lots of pictures and they look gorgeous!

I'm following your lead and going to look for local breeders and farmers, instead of the feed store.

Quote:
As you can see in my Signature line, I have lots of breeds. I think you can greatly affect the friendliness of your chickens if you handle them often as you are raising them from chicks. That is what I have done with all of mine. Some jump up in my lap, some don't. But I can hold all of them when needed(like with weekly inspections for injuries or pests). And a note about Production RIR's some can be mean, depends on the individual. Of my 2, one is sweet as can be, the other is a tormenter of the pullets(she only gets to stick around because she lays huge eggs every 25hrs and has not drawn blood yet) I hope this helps with your decision.
Dearth, From what I have heard on here, the Heritage RIR is very friendly. But you can only get those from reputable breeders, and you will pay more.
Quote:
Yeah I just sent an email apologizing profusely for changing my mind and telling him I'm not selling her now. I feel like a schmuck but what's a girl to do? I am sick thinking about actually selling one of my pets, espeically one that's now "pulling her weight"; her egg is gorgeous!!
Don't feel bad, I think your girls may have got the feeling it is "lay or go"
lau.gif

Quote: If she has already been around your birds(with like 20') then they have been exposed to each other. You could put them together now. As for your question about the CL birds, any number of things could have caused the deaths, mites, lice, worms, disease? Too hard to tell. And the bird in the picture is more than likely an EE. But with the pea comb she will likely lay the blue/green eggs.

Last edited:
If I don't have another coop or alternate means of housing my chickens, how would I go about painting the inside of the coop? Wouldn't the fumes still be pretty strong and toxic to the chickens by nighttime if they slept in there same day? I want to paint in there next summer but don't know how I could possibly do an entire coop clean, let it dry, and paint in one day. Should I wait for a hot spell during the summer and just force them to sleep outside on the roost in the chicken run?

I would wait til mid summer when we have a stretch of 80*+ days in a row. Should take a day for clean-out/drying, and day for paint to dry without much fumes. You could also get low fume paint, a little more $$ but may be worth it. Keep an eye out on CL to find a tractor or second coop in the mean time.

My husband says it will take about a day. He's worked construction/contracting/finish work most of his life. He says that you need to find an alternative place for the chickens for a least a day. If you keep it well ventilated, you can probably have them roost the following evening. Remember that eggs are porous and you DEFINITELY don't want the fumes to get in. He also says since you are painting inside the coop to not use outdoor paint or mildew resistant paint. They contain some fungicides and could cause respiratory issues for your hens.....not to mention people too.

When it comes to you and your families food, better to take extra precautions.

Good luck!

I hate being a slow reader, took me 45min to read through the 65 posts I was behind on. Ugh. Been letting momma and her 2 chicks out of the tractor until she takes them back in last couple of days. I am out there with them, Pig Pen is relentlessly trying to mate with her and she wants none of it. I have been having to play the dominant rooster role and chase him off when he goes after her. She is working on taking her place back in the pecking order. She attacked Big Red twice now and sent her running. I am glad she is not going to end up at bottom of order like I have read happens so often. My dumb half blind dog is stressing me out. He follows the chicks around and gets real close, I don't think he is going to do anything, but when I feel he is too close and momma is busy not keeping him away, I have been redirecting him and teaching him "no" about the chicks. This is the first time he has had them wandering in his yard. The 5 Silkies are doing good. I asked my DW if I should move them out to the big brooder in the shed and she asked if we could keep them inside longer, so they are now in a 30gal storage tub. At least I don't have to worry about them flying out.

Here's BOTH of the cute bright blue eggs my "babies" started laying; I'm shocked they both laid their first egg on the same day, AWESOME!

Now I can't wait til my EE's start laying. Although it may be a while, they are only 13 weeks. But my GSL(Amber) I am guessing is only a few weeks from laying. Her comb and wattles are starting to grow in.

Back
Top Bottom