Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

ep.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Dave - I have no help, no truck, no strength in my arms due to chronic nerve pain. I cannot pick up anything...needs to be delivered or shipped. I have no help and no strength to paint anything or make modifications like adding hardware cloth, roosts, etc. DH works 100+ hours a week right now. SO, I need something for $200-300 that is READY, in GOOD shape, painted, and perfect for a broody and chicks. Wanna make me something and deliver it? No...really...want to?
big_smile.png
The reason I chose that coop in that material is because it is easy for one person to put together alone, sturdy, won't rot from being set down in the grass or dirt permanently, has a window and 2 levels and plenty of room for a broody and chicks, and the price point is right.

IF ANYONE CAN BUILD (AND PAINT) SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THE AFORE MENTIONED COOP FOR $300 IN THE NEXT 2-3 WEEKS TOPS, I WOULD LOVE THAT BETTER!

That is AWESOME JESS!!!!! If I wasn't so slow I would make ya one myself! I just, finally, got the coop DONE(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) this weekend, and I feel so very accomplished for that! LOL! I was IN the stinkin' coop, knee deep in poopy shavings, trying to install the screens for the windows and upper vents....many a laugh had by DFH, the kids and our guest!!

VF- I think you should have this done by 2 this afternoon, yes?
lau.gif
bow.gif

Oh, well... must go peg the sheep out somewhere he wants to be, which is also not somewhere I have something stacked "temporarily." heh heh heh yah sure ya betcha

Nice day for doing laundry, must wash either wash cloths or socks since I don't currently own enough clothes pins for both, except all I have to do for the washcloths is pick up the bin and stick them in the washer while the socks need sorted and washed in lingerie bags so I don't lose any more of them. Last week when I was desperate for socks I sorted out the wad of black nylon trouser socks from the corner of my sock drawer and came up with three pairs and seven unmatched socks of such different length, texture, and stretchiness I couldn't wear any two of them at once without feeling as if I were standing in a bucket on one side. I don't have any thick socks which are clean except a pair of white wool lace ones I wear inside dress boots in the winter, and I can't wear my Justin Ropers anyway because I broke one of the boot laces and with a knot in it, it ties up either too loose or too tight.

Every once in a while I take all the mismatched cheap socks and use them to tie plants to stakes. I think that now is the time.

All of this is evidence that the chore fairy needs to show up and take care of things today, right, and I'll take aspirin and go back to bed with my leg elevated? And Paul's piggies will be doing synchronized aerial manuevers overhead this afternoon.

I finally got some time to use the computers at school so I thought I would share a cool story about Dash the rooster and my new chicks from the vancouver show.....

So, after bringing home my 4 ameraucana pullets from the show, I left them in a dog crate in the chick pen to get safely aquainted with their new friends(my 10 other chicks who were 4-7 weeks old) while ran up to seattle for saturday evening and sunday. When I got home Sunday about 9:30 I let the 4 girls out and low and behold they were a bit bigger than I thought they would be. Dash, my wheaten rooster from CCG via CarolynF is 8 weeks old, these girls are approx 12 weeks old, all my other chicks are younger than Dash. They immediately started to shove the 'littles' out of thier way to get at food and such. Dash was having none of it :) it didnt matter that they were easily half again bigger than him, he laid down the law and took on all four girls..... They were not allowed to bully his chicks
yesss.gif

This morning when I got out there to feed, Dash had the littles out in the run and the big girls were hanging out in the coop.... every now and then, one of them would very passively come out(sneak out past dash) and check out the dirt next to some littles.... big girl had her tail level, and was clearly not making eye contact with Dash.... then after a min or so, she would start to shove a little and her tail/posture would come up again and Dash would straighten up from whatever he was doing and take a step towards her .... and she would dart back into the coop.

As I have food/water in both places I am not worried about them sorting this all out.... but it is funny/awesome that this is clearly a case of my 8 wk rooster not letting them out of the coop unless they will be 'nice', and not a case of them guarding the coop against the littles.

All four pullets came from Logan Miller in Bend, OR.... He is an 8th grader that is doing really well in showing chickens, Ameraucanas are one of his breeds, he is doing Wheatens and Blacks. So out of the 4 pullets that I got, two are Wheaten and 2 are Black/wheaten crosses that happened when some eggs got miss-marked
idunno.gif
.... so I guess they are technically EE's, although I should get 50% Wheaten when crossed with Dash

I will upload some pictures later today.....

Ok!! Here's a picture of 'er all out in the yard!!! (Ok, lied, still not 100% done, my dad is going to paint the roofs again when we get a nice SUNNY weekend)
We are renters and didn't want to make a permenant run, so there were these 3 (don't know why 3?) posts in the side yard. I wrapped each end of hardware cloth around a 5' section of fence board and then wedged them under the roof of the coop. We wrapped the posts with the wire, but didn't want to attach it to the posts so we can move the "run" around the yard as needed
yesss.gif

I have a picture from another angle, but for some reason, they don't want to load today...

Ok!! Here's a picture of 'er all out in the yard!!! (Ok, lied, still not 100% done, my dad is going to paint the roofs again when we get a nice SUNNY weekend)
We are renters and didn't want to make a permenant run, so there were these 3 (don't know why 3?) posts in the side yard. I wrapped each end of hardware cloth around a 5' section of fence board and then wedged them under the roof of the coop. We wrapped the posts with the wire, but didn't want to attach it to the posts so we can move the "run" around the yard as needed
yesss.gif

I have a picture from another angle, but for some reason, they don't want to load today...

Nice but wheres the porch light???
lau.gif

yesss.gif

Beautiful ChickAudie!!
highfive.gif

robJ; I put her over on that side but made the mistake of leaving access to it for the other gals. She wasn't bothered by them, but went to the nestboxes. So tomorrow, she will get moved to the isolation room (LOL) after I clear out all the "stuff".
I'll put lip around the area under the feed shelf and fill it with straw, give her food and water and she what she does.
I'm not to the irritated state yet, after all she's a very young bird and probably a little confused.
She is very docile when I handle her though. At first she growled and tried to bite. I had leather gloves on (always, otherwise I'd lose chunks of flesh if bit) so I just let her get all the biting out of her system while talking to her. She hasn't tried again, so I guess I did something right?
mikeyb what needs to happen is to get her underside cooled down, it's called( the brood patch) so they can get the eggs to the correct temp. for incubation. That is why we put them in a cage with a wire bottom, no nesting material. She has to cool off, to stop brooding. I would suggest no hay maybe only flat newspaper for her to set on.

Back
Top Bottom