Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have learnt a lesson ;-)

Chickens are smarter than you think!

I feed my chickens.... first, I refill the feeders then the waters. Then I pull out bread or treats from my pockets and feed them. I have four main hens areas. Today as I was refilling the feeders, after being gone for two days, the hens crowded around me....the Black Copper Marans....(I am the only one who gives them treats each night)

"Ah" I thought, "They miss me"

oh no, they had their darn grubby heads in my coat pockets. Three at a time and other where jumping on top of the other to stick their heads in my pockets to get the treats. Sheesh! First time they ever did this

OK, so I got out to go to my egg layers coop.. RIR, Orpintons, BCM, EE and so forth. Bent down and was immediately swarmed for treats......the Buff Orpington had her head in the coat pocket, then a RIR saw that and dove in. They just couldn't wait until I stood up after I refilled the feeders.

So I was thinking, they have figured out the treats in the pocket...so I thought? "where can I put the treats so they would grub in my pocket?"

"on my head"....then I realized that was a bad idea....;-)

I know, I will wear my coat that has zippers on the pockets.

Nice! This thread has some awesome people on it who genuinely care about each other and are always willing to help each other.
What kind of eggs did you bring home??
Funny you should ask. They were so cool and I was so excited about them I even took a picture of them to send to friends and family. ;)

Last edited:
Your RIR looks just like mine, "Noodle"! :) Common occurence, i'm sure, but still awesome. :)
I have a chick pic or two of my own! I came into these two unexpectedly on Thursday/Friday. One's a RIR and the other is an Iowa Blue. Their names are Strawberry and Blueberry.

They were having fun exploring mom's bed yesterday in between cuddles.

Six in the brooder, four more in the incubator, a couple visible pips... without looking too hard, I'm shot, LONG darned day.

So: two things

Black Barbu d'Anvers, blue quail Bd'A and a pile of four SSHs- serious fish-eye effect on the front two Hamburgs, , but the black is, indeed, smaller than the blue quail, who is only slightly smaller than the Hamburgs.

Also, too: My sister's farm has a facebook page now

Last edited:
I have been hatching and selling Australian Spotted ducklings since my hen ducks started laying. They have all sold within a few days from their hatch date with most going out the door within their first 24 hours out of the shell. I have had to start taking orders and waiting for the ducklings to hatch to fill my orders. Today I had three hatched ducklings, one zipped egg, one externally pipped egg, and one internal pip so I told the buyer that I would not have his ducklings ready for pick-up until tomorrow. He wanted to put the ducklings under a call duck hen that is sitting so he decided to buy the six ducklings before three of them were even hatched! I have sold muscovy ducklings in the shell half done in the past because buyers paid $4 each for them (not something I would eat but I did not have to do anything other than pull the eggs out of the incubator early) but I never expected to sell my bantam ducklings before they hatched.

When I met with someone to pick up fertile BBS Silkie eggs to hatch, she told me I should sell the ducklings at a higher price because Holderread's charges $10.50 each and I am selling them for $5, even though they are a rare breed. My reason for keeping my prices low is so more people will buy them and that will help them become better known. If I charge more than other duck breeds, people will settle for the less expensive ducks and there will not be a demand for the Australian Spotted ducks. I am not wanting to be greedy by raising my prices but then I am also concerned that I can't produce enough ducklings to meet my current demand. I have people wanting older ducklings and adults but I won't have any left to raise when they are all sold out. I guess for now I will continue to sell the hatchlings as they hatch but I may have to rethink my pricing guidelines in the future.

Last edited:
Six in the brooder, four more in the incubator, a couple visible pips... without looking too hard, I'm shot, LONG darned day.

So: two things

Black Barbu d'Anvers, blue quail Bd'A and a pile of four SSHs- serious fish-eye effect on the front two Hamburgs, , but the black is, indeed, smaller than the blue quail, who is only slightly smaller than the Hamburgs.

Also, too: My sister's farm has a facebook page now

Those are so cute. Congrats on the hatch.

Those are so cute. Congrats on the hatch. 

I forgot- since the broody hen raised last year's SSH chicks- how very tiny they are compared to the EEs I raised before. That the biggest of the bantams is so much smaller is deeply weird, and how tiny (and as resiliant as a superball) the black chick is just blows my mind.

Five more over night, three Barbu d'Anvers and two SSHes. I suspect I'll be starting another brooder for them, since they include a silvery chick even smaller than the black one. it's not perfect by a long shot, but I suspect I'll be happier in the long run to keep them separated into small groups at least until I sell the SSH cockerels.

OH: somehow, when I loaded the incubator I missed the fact that there was a sterile (that is, from a pen with no rooster) egg included. Giant DUH for me, boy howdy, since I intend to mark and sort all eggs as soon as I pick them up and am all over the knowing of which egg is which...

Just a little whine....
Why can I not find Partridge Rocks for sale?
Anyone have any they are willing to part with? Fertile eggs even? Day olds? Anything?
I am pretty sure the universe is against me,
barnie.gif

Just a little whine....
Why can I not find Partridge Rocks for sale?
Anyone have any they are willing to part with? Fertile eggs even? Day olds? Anything?
I am pretty sure the universe is against me,
barnie.gif
Because they're really rare. Call Dick Horstman or go off his website, he sells chicks and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom