Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Unfortunately, one cannot post to BST if you have made less than 20 posts. As someone relatively new to the forum (and chickens) this is pretty frustrating. I joined before I knew I'd have to remove a bird or 2 from my flock, and don't have an extensive chicken-related network. I don't have the experience or knowledge yet to reply to posts in a helpful manner, and don't really want to spam the forum with unnecessary posts just to get my count up to 20.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone that has suggestions on other resources.
If you are trying to sell I'd say post it to craigslist. I'm sure you can send PMs to folks in the BST area with stuff you are interested in buying. Just a thought. Best of luck! Keep posting and you'll have the 20 in no time. I have been here just a few weeks and got over that hump without even knowing it. ;)

Last edited:
Here is what I've been told by moderators and the admins.
follow the rules.
They do not luke on the forum looking for misdeeds, but rely on reports from members, then they investigate and take action if warranted.
My conclusion is; someone is reporting all infractions in a spate of revenge, ill humor or what ever.

The big thing I think is to purchase the platinum feather. I can't afford it and if I did, I wouldn't have much use for it as I don't have anything to sell/barter. If you obtain the platinum feather then you can list your business, etc, etc in your signature line. I don't remember all the things you can do, I hight recommend that you read the rules and look at the req of the platinum feather.

Since most of the knowledgeable people have left, this forum has slowed down eminsley, but with the infusion of the new peeps it is picking up but I fear we will never reach the back and forth of the last few years. It is a sad thing. Mike

here's a link I found, hope it helps. (rules)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service

Please read carefully the sections pertaining to posting pics and such.
We have had a few questions about this in the past and a few ruffled feathers.
We all have agreed to the rules, it happens when we registered. But perhaps you're like me, I agree and then go back and read when questions come up.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Since most of the knowledgeable people have left, this forum has slowed down eminsley, but with the infusion of the new peeps it is picking up but I fear we will never reach the back and forth of the last few years. It is a sad thing. Mike
Mike, "Some" of the knowledgeable peeps left, but some are still here, although it being summer, are not posting often. Once CL gets done with the house, she'll be back. I think it will pick up later on, and as we get new peeps, we shall be fine.

I think that along with some of the "wise" ones leaving, we also lost some troublemakers. It has been relatively cordial here lately, although there are some I miss.

Kate

Last edited:
Here is what I've been told by moderators and the admins.
follow the rules.
They do not luke on the forum looking for misdeeds, but rely on reports from members, then they investigate and take action if warranted.
My conclusion is; someone is reporting all infractions in a spate of revenge, ill humor or what ever.

The big thing I think is to purchase the platinum feather. I can't afford it and if I did, I wouldn't have much use for it as I don't have anything to sell/barter. If you obtain the platinum feather then you can list your business, etc, etc in your signature line. I don't remember all the things you can do, I hight recommend that you read the rules and look at the req of the platinum feather.

Some haven't left entirely, but I like the fact that I can be on one site and be in touch with all my groups of friends, so I spend most of my time there. :) I like to pop on here to see what's going on. Looks like lots of nice new peeps!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first real post. I'm in the snohomish area and have a few questions. I grew up on a farm in Iowa and kept chickens for years. Mostly layers and meat birds. Now my wife and I picked up 11 bantams (silkies, sebrights, polish, and sultan) but it appears we have a multi-roo situation. I have read a lot about keeping Roos of differing breeds, but want some experienced opinions on how to deal with this issue. Currently we have 3 sebright Roos, one sultan roo, and possibly two silkie Roos. They have been raised together since hatching but are getting aggressive in their small-ish tub. I have a 24 sq ft coop coming next week, and we built a 24'x8'x6' run that will be attached to the coop. Is this enough space to keep that many boys? Will the sebrights or sultan keep my silkies from mounting? Would either of those breeds cross with the silkie hens? I would like to end up with fertile silkie eggs. Thanks in advance for your help. Ask any questions you need for clarification.
You can keep multiple roos, especially if they were raised together. But that might be a few too many.
big_smile.png
I would maybe just keep one of each breed? Or you can always see how they do in the bigger coop and run as the hormones get pumping. If you want fertile silkie eggs then I would keep the silkie boys. The only way you will be able to know what boys are breeding with your girls is if you only put one breed of boy in with the girls at a time. I have two LF Faverolles in the same coop and smallish run, but let the boy I want to use in with the girls for a few days to a week to get fertile eggs. I also have 3 separate pens for my silkies so I can keep the girls in the different groups, then add the boys to the pens as needed.

Back
Top Bottom