Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

A bit more information. The hired hand says she's seen a seventh chick, which would be a 100% hatch rate.

Quote: I had a friend that is hatching some of my eggs for me and the chicks are due while I am on vacation. I gave them to her when they would hatch last Monday but they aren't due until next wed. Just shows you to plan ahead and it was my first hatch!
hit.gif
At least ill get the babies though! I guess I will come back Wed. now.

Last edited:
There are definitely seven chicks, four splash and three blue. Now the big question is how many pullets. Oh, well, the wait will feel short since I also have to ready myself for my daughter's wedding in the interim.

In other news: this week has been a constant grind grind, more or less, and today . I had to go check the cattle to get an eartag number so my sister can file registration forms for the calves she wants to show; they were all at the end of the field furthest from the house, of course. That was after a full day of cleaning and laundry and other domestic delights, plus the usual sheep and chicken stuff. Luckily my daughter came over and helped with egg sorting so I can give Total Colour hatching eggs tomorrow without having to do it tomorrow morning while I'm still half-asleep, or tonight when I really need to sort socks so I can wash them in the morning.

ETA: My daughter's photo showing all seven chicks:

Last edited:
There are definitely seven chicks, four splash and three blue. Now the big question is how many pullets. Oh, well, the wait will feel short since I also have to ready myself for my daughter's wedding in the interim.

In other news: this week has been a constant grind grind, more or less, and today . I had to go check the cattle to get an eartag number so my sister can file registration forms for the calves she wants to show; they were all at the end of the field furthest from the house, of course. That was after a full day of cleaning and laundry and other domestic delights, plus the usual sheep and chicken stuff. Luckily my daughter came over and helped with egg sorting so I can give Total Colour hatching eggs tomorrow without having to do it tomorrow morning while I'm still half-asleep, or tonight when I really need to sort socks so I can wash them in the morning.

ETA: My daughter's photo showing all seven chicks:

That's a nice picture. I'm so glad you took Malvina - I think she was just one of those chickens that needed to be a "Mama" (and I didn't need one).

Yup, up early to get stuff done before I come for eggs. What I find odd though, is I never seem to get any more done even when I do get up early.

They're just really really goofy is all I meant by it. They kill me- one ALWAYS has to have what the other is eating, constantly into things, always playing and scaring the business out of each other.
Kim- really think you need bunny chicken love pictures to share
Oh! Well, it might just be your chickens! Lol! JK!
Try cooking up some spaghetti or I cook spaghetti squash and give it to them. It looks like worms and they chase each other for the best piece all the time!
gig.gif

And as soon as I can remember to bring my phone or a camera with me to the coop, I will get some pics. But video is better.

Last edited:
Well, I have two and a half dozen fewer hatching eggs and a nicely butchered and frozen Muscovy duck in my freezer, thanks to Total Colour: all eggs are going to be eaten rather than hatched until at least August 1. I need to get things rationalized and straightened round and settled down before the wedding.

For my next trick, I'll be building a shearing table and making Baaachus more comfortable in his own skin. Also, washing socks. I hope.

Last edited:
Any Western washington Silkie owners? I got a silkie in my last batch of chicks and I know they need to stay under the light a bit longer then normal chickens. My question is, since they are not as hardy as other chickens do I have to keep it indoors during the winter? Or will a heatlamp in the coop suffice? I appreciate any insight.

Any Western washington Silkie owners? I got a silkie in my last batch of chicks and I know they need to stay under the light a bit longer then normal chickens. My question is, since they are not as hardy as other chickens do I have to keep it indoors during the winter? Or will a heatlamp in the coop suffice? I appreciate any insight.

Hi,
I know there are others more qualified than me, but my DiL has one silkie roo that she keeps with the rest of her flock outdoors all year and they don't heat anything. They've never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom