Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I am so sad.....Amelia, my pet Swedish Flower hen...well, the neighbor's lab...killed her and a couple of my Marans.....we had just let them out for evening range and went up at house at dusk to have dinner...heard noise, saw dog run down the road and no more Amelia and couple of dead hens.......I got her by mistake on a sale, when I thought she was a Legbar, and she turned out to be a Swedish (the seller fixed the error) and I loved her...she would follow me around and eat out of my hand and she was the fresh line I needed for my flock....dark red with spots....so sad today......oh, the neighbor won't pay as I didn't get pixs of the "kill"

this is right after we had the local bobcat move in but he/she is gone now.....the Livestock Guardians went after the bobcat one day and no more bobcat.....

Just registered for this site. I'm up in the northern reaches of Snohomish County. Also just got back into egg production, so will find this site useful I am sure. Learning to navigate...
welcome-byc.gif

I am so sad.....Amelia, my pet Swedish Flower hen...well, the neighbor's lab...killed her and a couple of my Marans.....we had just let them out for evening range and went up at house at dusk to have dinner...heard noise, saw dog run down the road and no more Amelia and couple of dead hens.......I got her by mistake on a sale, when I thought she was a Legbar, and she turned out to be a Swedish (the seller fixed the error) and I loved her...she would follow me around and eat out of my hand and she was the fresh line I needed for my flock....dark red with spots....so sad today......oh, the neighbor won't pay as I didn't get pixs of the "kill"
this is right after we had the local bobcat move in but he/she is gone now.....the Livestock Guardians went after the bobcat one day and no more bobcat.....
Oh, I am so sorry. We're surrounded by loose dogs. We've had to fence everything tight. Heck, just to keep them away from our kids, let alone the chickens. The Sheriff will make house calls, and if you want to press charges, at least around here, they do investigate. WA does have a dangerous animal law or 2. Good luck.

So sorry about the attack to your flock. How terrible.

Long time no post. All is well here on my end, sold 50 birds in the last week and still have way too many. About the extra roosters thing, I stuck an ad on craigslist this spring for sexlink cockerels for .50 ea and had a guy call for them. When he got here, he said he'd buy any extra roosters we ever had since he just raises them for butcher. So far, he has gotten a few hundred cockerels from us, I have a few purebred culls that I don't want going to someone that might try to breed them so he'll be getting those too. It is nice to have a guy that I call when I have extras that will always take them, no worries about creeps coming here for birds any more

Hey there, I was wondering when we'd see the FlyingMonkeyPoop again!
lol.png
Glad to hear things are going well. Sweet deal on the roosters! There was someone in just the past few days asking about other BYCers in your area. I hope they found you. Hope you have time to stick around for a while now.

Hi all. I am completely new to this forum. We're moving to Maple Valley next week and instead of packing, I'm researching coops and chicken breeds. I don't have much to add right now, mostly just wanted to register, pop in, and say hi.

I'm hoping to have a coop ready for chicks next spring 2014. Right now I'm leaning towards Buff Orpingtons.

So, hi!

Welcome!
frow.gif
Lots of nice BYCers in that area, stick around and get to know us, we're a nice group
BOs are really nice, and so pretty! Just plan a coop that's twice as big as you think you'll need, and make it VERY secure against predators!!!

(except BCMatt... he's an old grouch)
duc.gif

JUST KIDDING MATT!!!
lau.gif

Just registered for this site. I'm up in the northern reaches of Snohomish County. Also just got back into egg production, so will find this site useful I am sure. Learning to navigate...

Hi and Welcome!
frow.gif
So you've had birds before... what breeds do you like/own?

Dang!!! I'm SO sorry to hear that! Those kind of neighbors should be exterminated! My little SFH isn't anywhere near that tame, she's a skittish little thing, so I can imagine how sad you must be..
hugs.gif
I hope you can find another one soon.

Well I left a message for the neighbor that "since it wasn't his dog, I would shoot it "... but since it is his dog, I am sure he will keep it chained up since it is his prized and expensive hunting lab.....of course, once I get my security cameras, there will be proof! Then I can call him for payment or Animal control....

Now I let them free range all over the farm when I get home, do my chores then 2 hrs later, when chores and working the Border Collies are all done, all chickens get locked up....oh, I meant locked up in the coop as the dog already dug under the fence to get the hens that were loose in the runs!

I am thinking of how to set a trap to catch the dog...but, then again after the last call, the dog might not come back as I was ****** when I left the message...I also left a message about two weeks ago and in May, the dog did the first kill....and since then the hens have been disappearing on random days so I think it must be the dog since most of happens in the middle of the day or just at dusk (such as after dinner)...I am one of three folks that has called the guy on his dog.....I will get this resolved.

On a side note, I am looking for Isbars.

Back
Top Bottom