Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hello, Washington! I've recently moved to Omak (long story) and even more recently taken custody of 6 hens coming into their 3rd year. I have two Sussex, three Rhode Island Reds, and a mystery red that's likely a) a mutt Red, b) a production Red, c) a Red Star, or d) a plain old mutt who happens to be red...we named her Lavender. Go figure.

Anyway, it's been a LONG time since I kept fowl (I was a kid last time I did it) and I'm enjoying every moment of this motley half-dozen. What I'm really looking forward to is building an 'Easter Egg' flock -- I do pysanky on the side and LOVE using naturally colored eggs.

My question is: is there anyone in the Okanogan area who has a flock of Easter Eggers already? Eventually I'll have room and facilities for breeding my own but I'm obviously starting small and these girls won't last forever, even if they are coming out of molt and giving me 3 nice brown eggs a day.

welcome-byc.gif

The best Easter Eggers I have had have been the ones from McMurray Hatchery. Several of us will go together to get the minimum order of 25 of several breeds. All of the Easter Eggers from them have laid blue-green or green-blue eggs, never any "pink" (which are really light brown) or other "rainbow" colors some other Easter Eggers lay. If you are wanting breeding stock there are some threads for Easter Egger enthusiasts on BYC.

Hello, Washington! I've recently moved to Omak (long story) and even more recently taken custody of 6 hens coming into their 3rd year. I have two Sussex, three Rhode Island Reds, and a mystery red that's likely a) a mutt Red, b) a production Red, c) a Red Star, or d) a plain old mutt who happens to be red...we named her Lavender. Go figure.

Anyway, it's been a LONG time since I kept fowl (I was a kid last time I did it) and I'm enjoying every moment of this motley half-dozen. What I'm really looking forward to is building an 'Easter Egg' flock -- I do pysanky on the side and LOVE using naturally colored eggs.

My question is: is there anyone in the Okanogan area who has a flock of Easter Eggers already? Eventually I'll have room and facilities for breeding my own but I'm obviously starting small and these girls won't last forever, even if they are coming out of molt and giving me 3 nice brown eggs a day.

Hi, Hey, Hello and Welcome
frow.gif

I know Omak well, I sprouted a few miles north of there back in the dark ages.
I can think of one member from Omak who might be able to point you in the right direction. You might want to write her a message:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/56740/4cats3kids1hubby2many

Enjoy!

Hello, I am new to BYC and am just starting in my chicken adventures. I am already in love with Orpingtons. I have been looking all over the internet for sources for chicks/pullets. Does anyone know of somewhere local to WA to find them? I really do not like the idea of getting them through the mail, I would rather drive to pick up. In the Tacoma area, but willing to travel 4-5 hours. Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Hello, I am new to BYC and am just starting in my chicken adventures. I am already in love with Orpingtons. I have been looking all over the internet for sources for chicks/pullets. Does anyone know of somewhere local to WA to find them? I really do not like the idea of getting them through the mail, I would rather drive to pick up. In the Tacoma area, but willing to travel 4-5 hours. Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Hi Welcome! This is a good group and often able to help.
Yesterday was a poultry show in Vancouver, WA a good place to meet breeders and find birds for sale as well. There's another one at the fairgrounds in Chehalis scheduled for Nov 16. Link Here Look at their Show Catalog for the full schedule. They're fun events especially if your new to chickens. There is also a good source in Port Orchard, Raincreek Pottery & Poultry. I have one of Pam's Gold Stars and really lover her.

Welcome! Definitely attend the Washington Feather Fanciers show in Chehalis next month. There are some great breeders of Orpingtons (at least Blue and Black) that show fairly regularly. So it'd be a good place to start and also meet other poultry folk.

Hi all!

Wish I'd managed to track you down at the show. I found budsbirds and my pairs fine, and looked for CarolynF's nametag and the dubiously named FlyingMonkeyPoop (which, no matter how you parse it, just does not sound fabulous) and lurked all up and down the aisles looking for someone who might end up being a BGMatt... no luck. :) You might have seen me wander by - tall, med long dark hair, teal long sleeve jean shirt, belt purse made from a poultry feed bag, with my best friend, very short, dark curly hair, snow leopard print shirt, knee high boots. We always look a bit like we REALLY don't belong in the same room.

Not sure if can go to the Chehalis show, but it would be fun.

Hey, DuckDrover, what was the name of the Orp breeder you were telling me about again? By the time I got home from your house, I unloaded my birds, washed my hands (where I had the note) and passed out. Very nice to meet you by the way...

Hi all,

I do not know if everyone knows because of the being at the show this weekend, but Bob Blosl passed away on Friday. The chicken world has lost a great asset and a very great man.

Richard

Hi all!

Wish I'd managed to track you down at the show. I found budsbirds and my pairs fine, and looked for CarolynF's nametag and the dubiously named FlyingMonkeyPoop (which, no matter how you parse it, just does not sound fabulous) and lurked all up and down the aisles looking for someone who might end up being a BGMatt... no luck. :) You might have seen me wander by - tall, med long dark hair, teal long sleeve jean shirt, belt purse made from a poultry feed bag, with my best friend, very short, dark curly hair, snow leopard print shirt, knee high boots. We always look a bit like we REALLY don't belong in the same room.

Not sure if can go to the Chehalis show, but it would be fun.

Hey, DuckDrover, what was the name of the Orp breeder you were telling me about again? By the time I got home from your house, I unloaded my birds, washed my hands (where I had the note) and passed out. Very nice to meet you by the way...

Aleta, I looked for you but not knowing what to look for I hadn't a clue. I arrived about 1 and found Mike (aka monkeypoop) right off. Nice to meet you Mike!

Quote:
Matt... was that your White Langshan I saw? I think DH saw a pretty pink egg in there???

Aleta, I looked for you but not knowing what to look for I hadn't a clue.  I arrived about 1 and found Mike (aka monkeypoop) right off.  Nice to meet you Mike!

Matt... was that your White Langshan I saw?  I think DH saw a pretty pink egg in there??? 

It was not sadly. Not sure who had the Langshans there. The White was a pretty nice bird. I had nothing in feather so was just there selling. Hopefully I can have some pullets ready for Chehalis.

Back
Top Bottom