Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

If you leave [COLOR=FF0000]RIGHT NOW[/COLOR], you [COLOR=006400]may[/COLOR] just make it in time!

I tasted it, and WOW, it's good. I thought it would  be gamey, but it's not at all. I'm doing it in a water bath so that it won't get overcooked.

What do you know, just got off work ;)

Last edited:
This is NOT normal?
yippiechickie.gif

Hello All, I am new (and I mean new) to the chicken world. I will be getting baby chicks, 4 Buff Orpingtons, the week of December 2nd. I have read several threads on Winterizing your coop and preparing for winter, but am still confused! so... My chicks should be feathered out in about 5-6 weeks (from what I read) which would put that about 1-2 week of January. I live in the Tacoma and am not sure about how to deal with getting them used to being outside when it is so cold. Most of the winterizing articles I have read were from folks back east and it really does not apply here. So....
1 - How long should I keep them in the house
2 - How do I acclimate them for outside
3 - What do you do to your coop for the winter. Most of what I read was about freezing temps, snow, etc and it seem like humidity would be more of an issue.

Any advise you have for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. (Just so I dont keep them in the house until May!)

Hello All, I am new (and I mean new) to the chicken world. I will be getting baby chicks, 4 Buff Orpingtons, the week of December 2nd. I have read several threads on Winterizing your coop and preparing for winter, but am still confused! so... My chicks should be feathered out in about 5-6 weeks (from what I read) which would put that about 1-2 week of January. I live in the Tacoma and am not sure about how to deal with getting them used to being outside when it is so cold. Most of the winterizing articles I have read were from folks back east and it really does not apply here. So....
1 - How long should I keep them in the house
2 - How do I acclimate them for outside
3 - What do you do to your coop for the winter. Most of what I read was about freezing temps, snow, etc and it seem like humidity would be more of an issue.

Any advise you have for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. (Just so I dont keep them in the house until May!)

Welcome! Birds should be fully feathered by those times if you're talking hatchery birds, chicks from a breeder may be slightly behind. In winter time I usually allow 8 weeks for feathering and then put them out, I would not worry about acclimation but would stop any supplemental heat in brooder at 6 weeks (if you have them in a house then maybe shut off heat to that room? Don't know haven't raised chicks in house)

As far as coop winterization the big thing is humidity as you suspect. If it is dry with adequate ventilation and no condensation they can tolerate very cold temps, worse than you'll get in the Tacoma area. Deep dry shavings and lots of fresh air are the big keys.

I am not sure where else to keep the chicks but inside the house. I dont have a garage, i do have a shed but thought it would be to drafty and cold

Regarding the X2 on 8 weeks, do you mean keep them inside for 16 weeks? That seems like a pretty big bird to be inside.

What are your thoughts on moving the brooding light (red light) to the coop? fire danger?

Last edited:
I am not sure where else to keep the chicks but inside the house. I dont have a garage, i do have a shed but thought it would be to drafty and cold

Hi, Most sheds aren't drafty enough to be an issue unless it has giant holes somewhere or windows that are open. What feels drafty to a person is not drafty to a chicken, it's ventilation. If a wind blows thru hard enough to blow out a good sized candle, that's drafty. You should be able to put a brooder in the shed. Use a red light or reptile heater to keep it at the correct temps. Gradually lower the temps each week as they grow. Have you already read about the temps needed for chicks? Don't use a cheap light socket, be sure it's ceramic to avoid fire hazards. Like anything electrical, be sure it's rated for what you want to do and mount it properly. It doesn't have to be fancy, just practical and safely installed.

X2 means they are repeating the advise. In this case, they agree with the 8 weeks. If a third person agrees they might use "X3".

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some tips for Pacific NW winters and chickens. I have 1 Buff Orpington who is laying but slowing down, 2 Buff Brahmas who are 26 weeks and havent started laying yet, and a 1 year old welsummer that was given to us a few weeks ago and was laying before the move and hasn't started back up yet. Do many in the area supplement light? I don't mind if they slow down in the winter but would like some eggs out of them. I worry about running electricity to the coop don't want to worry about fire etc. Any battery operated options? Would love some tips.
My ducks lay all year, unless they molt.
I run a wire into their palace that lights up a string of easter egg lights. Christmas lights works too.
You do need a back up as a change in artificial light due to battery failure or power outage will stop egg production.
If you are not comfortable with running electricity you can also use solar lights.
I have a few inexpensive yard stake type solar lights as my back up lights that I put into the coop walls. Just cut a hole through the south wall.
have the light end pointing into the coop and the solar panel peeping out so it gets some light.
These lights are available at walmart or Dollar Store for almost nothing. It has a light sensor so you dont have to turn it on or off.
They don't need high intensity of light. Check to see how many hours your area gets from a normal day of charge from a stake light.
The amount of light needs to be at about 16hrs for egg production. We are getting way less than that right now, so increase the length by about 15 mins a day till you reach 16 hrs, then hold it at 16 hrs or more.
(reason I run a wire to the duck palace is because I use a timer for the ducks and I run a hot wire for the cyotes. And when it gets too cold, I turn on the big lights.
My wire is burried in the ground.You can run a PVC pipe and stick the wire through it.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom