Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

They are awesome birds & excellent layers, love them.
I am going to just keep 4 breeds, the Bielefelders, the Super Crele Albertan (in my avatar,), my Jersey Giants and my Silver Cuckoo Marans...no more.
If you can, get a gQf incubator, they are the best !

This professional cabinet (gets me in a lot of trouble really fast !) has a 5 gallon water bucket feed....so humidity & temp are fool proof, as long as the fool remembers to take eggs out on day 17 & put them in the hatching bator...LOL.

I was going to buy a GQF cabinet, then opted not to, then changed my mind again- I decided that I've had enough of this crappy hatching.
barnie.gif

In fact, I was going to put the order in this week- was just checking prices to find the best deal (anyone?) - then spaced it out amongst the chaos. These last 3 weeks have been super challenging. Ya know....one of those weeks where I wish I could tolerate a lot more alcohol !
th.gif

(I settled for homemade coconut milk ice cream WITH SPRINKLES last night)

Horror of Horrors! So it looks like I have 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte cockerel. I absolutely cannot keep him. I thought I heard one if them screaming and it turns out he was just practicing. First time I've heard it.

Horror of Horrors! So it looks like I have 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte cockerel. I absolutely cannot keep him. I thought I heard one if them screaming and it turns out he was just practicing. First time I've heard it.
How old is your cockerel? My EE cockerel has been crowing for a week now (they are only 5 weeks old). Our other cockerel is trying to crow back but isn't that good at it yet. Good news is I'll never oversleep in the morning with the EE around.

I wish it had stayed nice and sunny. We have to clean out the run of some of the plants. We found Scotch Broom out there and from what I can gather it is poisonous to them! It also looks like we have some mint growing and some that suspiciously look like weed, you know the puff, puff pass type
ep.gif

All the chicks are doing well in the big girl/boy coop. Yesterday we went out to check on them and saw them chest bumping each other. We know that we have at least one roo and I think we have another one but need it to grow some more feathers to be sure. We have had them for four weeks now. They ranged in age from day old to 2 weeks old when we got them. The oldest chick is a pullet. So far we have not heard any cock-a-doodle-do though.

We cut up some left over watermelon and gave it to them. They stripped that thing down to the rind in a matter of minutes!

Well it looks like I have 2 Blue Salmon Faverolles cockerels if anyone is interested - the eggs were a gift from one of our member breeders so I will gift the wee guys to whomever is interested. They are 4 weeks old tomorrow. Super friendly and easily handled even by a four year old
smile.png

Thanks for posting pictures :) For anyone interested the breeding is Cloverleaf, or Cloverleaf-Pasofino

thumbsup.gif
I JUST GAVE A HUGE NET TO eLIZMARTIN....THERE IS ANOTHER HERE. WE HAVE ALOT OF THEM AVAILABLE.
tHEy are called clam nets, and for some reason they are suddenly abandoned & piles of them are at the dump...which is bad as they are plastic

I HATE this new keyboard despite what RonB says :::

I AM NOT GETTING USED TO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
somad.gif
THESE ARE WONDERFULLY USEFUL ! I highly recommend them to hold in, keep out shade etc. You poultry family…….THANKS ROBIN

How old is your cockerel?  My EE cockerel has been crowing for a week now (they are only 5 weeks old).  Our other cockerel is trying to crow back but isn't that good at it yet.  Good news is I'll never oversleep in the morning with the EE around.  
They're 7 weeks old this week. Hopefully he's the only one in the bunch.
1f60a.png

Well, I think all the eggs that are going to hatch from under our broody have done so. Started with eleven, and the hen stepped on one of them and cracked it badly. I kept that one in the incubator, with some Polysporin on the cracks since it had cracked sort-of close to hatching time. That one didn't make it.

Then we had one who pipped at the wrong end. I discovered that yesterday, but left the egg under the broody. When we checked again at mid-morning the egg hadn't progressed really at all, and the membranes were turning brown, so I brought that one in and put a couple of drops of water on the membranes, and watched the egg in the incubator. That one hatched just fine in under two hours after that.

Then tonight just before dinner I checked on the broody once more. Another egg hatched with no apparent incident, but one had hatched with the yolk sack totally unabsorbed. We're euthanizing that one, and I'm crying.

There's still two more eggs, that I don't think will hatch at all. And even though we've got a bunch of lil' fuzzballs peeping out there, I'm bawling right now. This hatching stuff is rough business.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom