Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Welcome! Beautiful bird, Doubleoh chick I hope you find a great home for him. [COLOR=141823]My chicks are now 18.5 weeks old. One of them laid her first egg. Don't know which one...hopefully the other 5 will soon follow suit.[/COLOR] The egg is about 1.5-2" long and about 1" in diameter.
Congrats! We got our first one yesterday as well
1f600.png
Exciting stuff!

Ronb I would be interested in a sussex, the friendlier to people the better. I had one in my mixed flock and it turned out roo and had to be rehomed. All of my birds are Pets first, layers second, and spoiled rotten. I'm in Snohomish.

Last edited:
Ronb I would be interested in a sussex, the friendlier to people the better. I had one in my mixed flock and it turned out roo and had to be rehomed. All of my birds are Pets first, layers second, and spoiled rotten. I'm in Snohomish.

Sorry I took so long to answer I don't come on here every day. All my chickens have been spoken for. The Sussex are going to a very good home where I'm sure they will be spoiled

Is it normal for chickens with tiny combs to get hotter? I just assumed maybe that was the reason my EE is panting and holding her wings out a bit more than the others. She was so hot and panting the other day she didn't finish swallowing something and just stood there with her mouth open and it hanging out >_<
This weather is killing me too I feel her pain. Trying to keep them cool with ice and half frozen fruit ;P

Make sure you send him a personal message, as that will alert on his e-mail, otherwise, he may never see your post

Is it normal for chickens with tiny combs to get hotter? I just assumed maybe that was the reason my EE is panting and holding her wings out a bit more than the others. She was so hot and panting the other day she didn't finish swallowing something and just stood there with her mouth open and it hanging out >_<
This weather is killing me too I feel her pain. Trying to keep them cool with ice and half frozen fruit ;P
It more than likely has to do with their feathering, some have more down than others, and are rated better for cold climes, and those can have pea combs, or in the case of Chanteclers, have cushion combs, which appear to be nothing...like someone sliced the comb right off the bird.
Some are 'Hard Feathered" which is the big hard feathers like used for flight...like Cornish, they have little to no down, which insulates & lkeeps them warm.
Cornish have issues in extreme cold, but no problem shedding rain like a shed roof.
And some are soft feathered..........like Silkies, which have an issue with getting wet & have no way to "shed water like a roof" rather they get wet to the skin & stay that way.

So the breed you have, may have more insulation, like different breeds of dogs, for example.

My mini Aussie is really good with the little ones! I finally decided to let the little chicks out of their enclosed run yesterday and one of the young roosters was particularly calm around my dog.

They went out looking for food together:

Then they found it!

Maila is pretty sure she found the poop factory, or what she thinks of it as, the "chicken nugget" factory... I wish I could teach her not to eat chicken poop she just loves it
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom