Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: I think that's too far away, sadly. Thanks for the idea, though! I might use that as a last resort.

Quote:
Thank you! I will PM Marysville and elizmartin. Cloverleaf doesn't say anything about having chicks in or hatching eggs, but I'll PM them through BYC anyways.

@Chickielady Elizmartin doesn't do the Salmon variety. Kim does, and Rob used to but neither use this forum any more.
Glad you're enjoying the rasp. vinegar.

@Frindizzle your best bet may be to attend the poultry show at the fairgrounds in Chehalis in November and talk to the folks there that are showing. @Cloverleaf Farm is often there, as is Rob.

@BGMatt do you know anyone in your area to Salmon Favs?

Hello, I am Poke. My parents have property in Acme which isn't far from Bellingham. Although we still live and raise our chickens in Colorado, I thought it might be nice to join

@Chickielady
  Elizmartin doesn't do the Salmon variety.  Kim does, and Rob used to but neither use this forum any more. 

@Frindizzle
  your best bet may be to attend the poultry show at the fairgrounds in Chehalis in November and talk to the folks there that are showing.  @Cloverleaf Farm
is often there, as is Rob.   

@BGMatt
  do you know anyone in your area to Salmon Favs?

Yes, Salmon Favorelles, Michelle DeCiccio. You can PM me for contact info.

Osteoporosis.....is what happened to me. DON'T TAKE FOSAMEX!!!!
This drug causes the thigh bone to thin and that's what happened to me.
I twisted my body to avoid my daughter's Great Pyrenees who was loping towards me.
I thought she was going run into me and so I twisted my body away from her and felt a pain in my thigh.
She turns and then comes at me a second time (she was playing with my two dogs) and barely brushes against me.
I twist again and down I go. My femur snapped. I had surgery Saturday morning and came home on Tuesday.
So, I am now convalescing. Hubby collects the eggs and makes sure the chicks are happy, while I just putz around the house with my walker. I have seen improvement since I've come home but I've still a long way to go before I'm walking around here pain-free.

Dang!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your accident! But I'm glad that you're healing and have help. Take care!

Thanks, I thought you'd be the go-to guy. 
@Frindizzle
, here you go!  Matt's your guy! 

@Frindizzle just send me a PM and I can give you Michele's info. She has amazing Favorelles, and is in Washougal, but visits Battle Ground often.

An alternative would be attending the PNPA Double show Oct 17-18th at the Clark County Event Center in Ridgefield, WA

Gah! Frustrating weekend! On Friday we got our first egg from our 3 faverolles mutts. On Sunday the chickens were making such constant and shrill bawking noises(for many hours) that my husband finally put his foot down(it was loud enough that we could hear them with the windows closed, AC on, and watching TV). He was concerned about having loud hens and becoming "that neighbor" with the noisy pets before we got them. I gave them away to a neighbor a few miles away to join her flock. Turns out that the worst offender was a cockerel that had not yet started crowing (at 4.5-5 months?!). I was devastated, but also totally understand his concern. After some time went by, he agreed to ONE MORE trial with chickens that have been specifically vetted as "quiet". Another neighbor has a flock that they are downsizing, so we are going to try one more time for quiet girls before reluctantly giving up on chickens
hit.gif
until we move to a larger lot and won't have to worry about neighbor proximity. If you guys have any input or suggestions, I would love to take them. I really want this to work but it is not worth constant tension in my marriage and neighborhood.

Gah! Frustrating weekend! On Friday we got our first egg from our 3 faverolles mutts. On Sunday the chickens were making such constant and shrill bawking noises(for many hours) that my husband finally put his foot down(it was loud enough that we could hear them with the windows closed, AC on, and watching TV). He was concerned about having loud hens and becoming "that neighbor" with the noisy pets before we got them. I gave them away to a neighbor a few miles away to join her flock. Turns out that the worst offender was a cockerel that had not yet started crowing (at 4.5-5 months?!). I was devastated, but also totally understand his concern. After some time went by, he agreed to ONE MORE trial with chickens that have been specifically vetted as "quiet". Another neighbor has a flock that they are downsizing, so we are going to try one more time for quiet girls before reluctantly giving up on chickens
hit.gif
until we move to a larger lot and won't have to worry about neighbor proximity. If you guys have any input or suggestions, I would love to take them. I really want this to work but it is not worth constant tension in my marriage and neighborhood.
My girls are relatively quiet unless they are laying in which case they will sing for 10-30 minutes after laying. My white leghorn is the quietest girl, my barred rock makes a lot of whining noises, my EE grunts but doesn't talk much, my speckled sussex will go off for no reason sometimes but rarely, and my buff has a very baritone voice and doesn't sing much after laying, she's rather pleasant. I'm not sure what other advice to offer other than that then maybe adopting some fully grown hens instead of hoping the chicks grow up into hens. Or get something that is sex link but IDK what their reputation of noise is :p

Oh I just noticed you said you're getting some from your neighbor, hopefully they will be able to tell you what kinds of noises each makes unless they have so many they don't pay attention?

Last edited:
@Chickielady Elizmartin doesn't do the Salmon variety. Kim does, and Rob used to but neither use this forum any more.

@Frindizzle your best bet may be to attend the poultry show at the fairgrounds in Chehalis in November and talk to the folks there that are showing. @Cloverleaf Farm is often there, as is Rob.

@BGMatt do you know anyone in your area to Salmon Favs?
Wow, all this time I thought Eliz got her birds from Cloverleaf ?
I am pretty sure she has a Fudge ,Jr.
Anyways, good to know there is some close by !

My girls are relatively quiet unless they are laying in which case they will sing for 10-30 minutes after laying. My white leghorn is the quietest girl, my barred rock makes a lot of whining noises, my EE grunts but doesn't talk much, my speckled sussex will go off for no reason sometimes but rarely, and my buff has a very baritone voice and doesn't sing much after laying, she's rather pleasant. I'm not sure what other advice to offer other than that then maybe adopting some fully grown hens instead of hoping the chicks grow up into hens. Or get something that is sex link but IDK what their reputation of noise is :p

Oh I just noticed you said you're getting some from your neighbor, hopefully they will be able to tell you what kinds of noises each makes unless they have so many they don't pay attention?
Yep, she said that her husband can tell me who is quiet and who is not. I have a feeling that this is how we will have to do chickens while we are in the suburbs - wait until they are mature and then buy a small group of "confirmed" quiet birds.

Back
Top Bottom