Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Oh man, where were you a few months ago? I'm still bummed that my Easter Eggars are not Lane colorful eggs, except for one. But I've pretty much hit the limit of my coop so I'll have to wait.
I do have one general question for you. I know that Easter acres are not amaricanas. Sorry for the spelling. But I hear that they are always difficult to find but there seems to be a lot here on this forum. Is it because people are using the terms interchangeably?

I got guaranteed colored egg layer Easter Egger chicks from a breeder and it was the worst mistake I have made when buying chicks. I had to get rid of a bunch because they had yellow legs and straight combs and then the ones that were true to type mostly layed beige eggs. I have one hen from that entire batch that I kept, all the rest were sold as crossbreeds. He must have assumed that anything that came out of a colored egg would lay a colored egg but he was so wrong. I certainly learned from his mistake!

On a positive note, my daughter candled all the garbage hatchery Ameraucana eggs I purchased from a backyard breeder and they are all fertile, even the one that looked like a double yolk. I can't count my chickens before they hatch but at least they have not gone in the trash yet. They may still quit due to the odd egg shapes and how dirty they were but at least there is the potential that it will not be a complete loss.

Dottie is beautiful! I would have mottled if they could be bred to BBS but for now I just have my three colored flock of blue, black, and splash. If I were to keep chickens without hatching eggs I would have an assortment of breeds and colors but for now I am a purist because I like to hatch and if I am going to hatch I want to hatch to the SOP. I like chickens more than I like eating eggs but having a pet that is also a food source is a nice perk as long as I can keep up with the feed bill.

Excellent post. The Marek's vaccine does NOT prevent them from contracting it, only from showing symptoms (this is true of most poultry vaccines, they don't work like human or dog vaccines). It is also totally ineffective to vaccinate them any time after 24 hours of hatching.

Vaccinating birds for a backyard, hobby, or self sustaining flock makes zero sense once facts are understood.

Hmm, does this mean if we do have vaccinated chickens, we shouldn't put them with non-vaccinated ones in case they are carriers? The 3 we have were from a feed store that only offered vaccinated chicks. I don't think they've come into contact with any wild game-type birds since leaving as we don't have any in our area.

Speaking of which:

The EE and the OEGB (aka Chicken Tender and the Chicken Nuggets). Hoping the EE will lay interesting colored eggs as her legs are kinda grayish green, but I'm not sure how much that is actually indicative of anything. Near as I can tell, many EE are incorrectly colored Ameraucana types?

Carolei, I love your girls' bottoms.
love.gif
Maybe that is a bit weird but they are sooo fluffy.

So, I'm wondering if one of my pullets is a cockerel.....at 14-15 weeks, would it be obvious? She's a buff Orpington, so I was expecting her to get big and fluffy, but she seems to be getting taller and thinner....she's much taller than the other two (granted they are different breeds - a speckled sussex and a blue Wyandotte)....she just doesn't look like a hen to me. Anyone want to take a guess?

So, I'm wondering if one of my pullets is a cockerel.....at 14-15 weeks, would it be obvious? She's a buff Orpington, so I was expecting her to get big and fluffy, but she seems to be getting taller and thinner....she's much taller than the other two (granted they are different breeds - a speckled sussex and a blue Wyandotte)....she just doesn't look like a hen to me. Anyone want to take a guess?
Looks like a typical hatchery quality Orpington. You're not going to get the big, round, fluffy type birds from hatcheries/feed stores. And it's definitely a pullet.

Looks like a typical hatchery quality Orpington. You're not going to get the big, round, fluffy type birds from hatcheries/feed stores. And it's definitely a pullet.
Oh okay. I actually bought her from a breeder, not from a hatchery/feed store, but nonetheless, glad it looks like a pullet even if it doesn't have a fluffy butt.

Back
Top Bottom