Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have always heard that australorps are great egg layers, don't remember hearing that they go broody. A friend of mine has a chicken that she just can't break from going Rudy. She's really frustrated and doesn't know what else to do. I think it is an old English game hen.
Elevated wire cage with no bedding at all. Just food and water. Takes about 3 days, but always works on even the most determined hens.

Mine never tried had one easter egger think she might but let three die I gave her and she has not tried again... keep thinking about getting two Silkie from Hinotori let them be broody for me

I was holding two bullets for the first person on my list until she was done with her College semester. I just messaged her if she still wanted them.

They are 13 weeks old this Thursday. Split wing issues so no good for breeding.

She does want them.

I'll have more ready in a couple months. 28 chicks have survived from this hatch. The wing issue is obvious about 8 or so weeks if they have it

Well I think my hatch of the eggs I had shipped went south the cats managed to set the temps way back think they killed them all... I have a very sweet frizzle cockerel but have not figured out where to place him

Last edited:
I found that putting them in a small pen alone with a rooster helps. Almost all of my boys will not tolerate all of their hens being broody at once and will pull them off nests.

She has already done that and it has not worked. She has tried it two or three times now for up to a week at a time.

In hot weather, or a spot that's hot, their underside doesn't cool off as quickly. I'm dealing with that right now. Luckily tomorrow won't be as hot. This girl took 10 days last time, about 2 months ago. She's tenacious!

In hot weather, or a spot that's hot, their underside doesn't cool off as quickly. I'm dealing with that right now. Luckily tomorrow won't be as hot. This girl took 10 days last time, about 2 months ago. She's tenacious!
Yes and it's been hot on the east side 90s most every day I put a fan on one in the back covered porch and the other one elevated in the middle of the barn with both ends of the barn open north and south great breeze in there.

Back
Top Bottom