Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

I'm sorry to hear this outcome. Sympathy to you and the Sherwood family.

Quote:
DH and I skin the birds. I also learned the hard way to de-bone most of the meat also. I save all the bones for stock and chicken soup. We first bleed the birds, then skin it and then remove the craw/crop part. At that point it is gutted and then put into ice water. I finally learned to de-bone it about 3 days later, and I bag everything in vacuum bags.

Why do you wait three days?

Quote:
Plucking takes a long while, but no serious cook would accept a skinned bird. I know I'm offending some with that statement, but my SERIOUS foody family members were shocked, SHOCKED at the waste of a fine, artisinally raised fowl being skinned instead of plucked: messes up the balance of any recipe that depends on broth or au jus reductions, because the collagen in the skin is what thickens the fluids, and of course the fat in the skin is a huge part of the flavor.

I hate plucking chickens; the feel of feathers stuck to my skin gives me the grues. I may see if I can buy a plucker (it'll go on my BIL's farm sale list), but wearing thin nitrile gloves makes it much easier. But nobody who's shown interest in buying roasters would buy skinless ones.

I'm not so serious and it takes more to shock me than a the idea of skinning a fine fowl.
Agree on the role of fat in flavor but my cardiologist doesn't want to hear it.
sad.png

Stumpfarmer, you are a talented writer.

Super thanks for all the advice on plucking.
Thanks for the offer to use a plucker.
Dawng and I may be organizing a processing gathering.
Ari: I get what you are saying. The other day when Dawn and I were learning, I was thinking about how if all of us processed our own meat - instead of just casually picking it up at the grocery store - we might find ourselves butchering only what we really need and not a life more. (Of course, easy for me to say since we are nearly vegetarian.) Also, so sorry to read that you lost some chickens. Hope the Dom shows up.
Good thoughts to all who are suffering. May today be better.

Seriously, Stumpfarmer - do you write professionally? Are you working on a book - or at least a short story? You are a wordsmith. Great diction. A kick to read. You often make me laugh - soemtimes even the way you describe a miserable day makes me laugh - but just momentarily because I do realize you are describing some serious ailments and obstacles. Hallerlake, you, too, have a way with words. And CR - you be hilarious.

Quote:
Quote:
Chickens, like humans go into rigor mortis. Chilling them slows down the rigor process. I have bagged mine in about 24 hours, but find that the extra day or 2 in the refrigerator, "ages' the meat and it's particularly succulent.

Test it for yourself. After you chill a bird, the legs and arms (sorry, wings) will be stiff. AFTER rigor has passed, the limbs will loosen up again.

Quote:
Quote:
Chickens, like humans go into rigor mortis. Chilling them slows down the rigor process. I have bagged mine in about 24 hours, but find that the extra day or 2 in the refrigerator, "ages' the meat and it's particularly succulent.

Test it for yourself. After you chill a bird, the legs and arms (sorry, wings) will be stiff. AFTER rigor has passed, the limbs will loosen up again.

There is so much to learn. Thank you for the information.
I'm going to become more self-sufficient one way or another!

OK, all this talk of plucking is making me ask: I am going to go help a friend butcher 2 turkeys tomorrow. I have never plucked a bird, I always skin my chickens. I have read up on what to do, but are there any special considerations I should make since they are turkeys? Any tips / tricks to making it easier? it's going to be quite the job...
roll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom