Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I live here in Washington too.
I live in friendly Ferndale WA, 15 min. from the Canadian border.

New to having chickens but loving every moment of it.
I have 22 right now.
7 layers 3 roosters, 10 chicks, 2 pellets and 1 cockerel.

Hi to all from Port Townsend. What an amazing website. Thanks for all of the wonderful welcomes we've received so far. You guys rock.

We are new to the world of chickens and ducks. Have finally figured out that three of our five khaki Campbells born in June are male. Three drakes and two ducks, not a good combo. So, we hope to find a new home for one or two of the drakes and/or obtain more ducks to fix the ratio.

Anyone out there have any suggestions where we can rehome Khaki Campbell drakes or obtain Khaki Campbell ducks.(juveniles) Our Campbells are just for pest control and eggs.

Quote:
I would really like to have the trio. Are you going to be passing through Olympia at all?

Oh, and to the neweggs>>>>>> Welcome!!!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
When I had chickens about 18 years ago we put a light in the coop during the winter months and the girls continued to lay for us year around. So I know that it works for egg production. I think there are purists out there that will say that the girls need to rest and that they will not light and all that, but my way of thinking is that further south with more daylight that hens lay all year around without any major stress on the bird. There is also a cost to keeping a light on all the time. I am thinking that I am going to invest in a timer this time around, and just add a just a few hours of extra light per day for my hens. I will probably use a 40 watt GE Reveal bulb so that they have a full spectrum type of light. If it gets really cold I know that I will not hesitate to heat the coop a little with a bigger light bulb.
I don't know if this helps, but this is my game plan this year.

Previously Tailfeather wrote "If you do a search on BYC with me as the Author, you will see that I recently addressed the issue of "supplemental light"."

I can find a lot of postings by you but not that one, could you post or pm the link to me? Geez we only got one egg last night...I may have to break down and buy store bought - gag. I will be setting up extra morning light, I just have to figure out how.

But talking about eggs-my son and his wife have been enjoying ours. But I didn't realize he took eggs home yesterday until I went to pack my lunch. Ha ha - he took a carton of hard boiled eggs, I'm not telling him, just waiting for the phone call from him or his wife....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom