Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thanks Ron.It probably won't be tomorrow, I forgot I was working later this thursday. I will come by on Friday. It will give me time to harvest more meal worms for you too.

Mike So nice to meet you and have a short visit. Got home and got the chicks settled into thier temp housing for the next day or so. There were 15 total but I don't know which are which. By then I could take it no more had to have a nap as I had been up since 2:30 and it caught up to me. I got the fan all put in only to discover the one I used was too noisy for me so took it out and put a different one in. It is now running nice and quiet. So now getting back up to temp. So are you suggesting not using the fan?
Thanks so much for all of the goodies.

Weave don't worry I didn't take all the netting. I left ya plenty.
Theres at least enough to cover yer coffee cup, if the cup ain't too big.
lau.gif

Quote:
I have (had?) the same problem with raccoons using my cedars as a communal latrine. Gross!! Found it after I got chickens and was worried about their safety. King County has a webpage about getting rid of these raccoon latrines. I tried to follow their steps, and all, and removed some soil and replaced it with new soil. However, I think those coons have a smell they look for - and it probably lingers long after you remove the soil.

Anyway, I think I've finally conquered their latrine for GOOD by putting a deep bed of coffee chaff under the trees. I got the chaff free from a guy who collects from all the area coffee roasters. It really smells like coffee now, in my yard. But that's not a bad thing! And the fluffy chaff looks nice, it doesn't hurt the chickens, and most of all I hope the smell and texture completely deters those raccoons from using my yard as a highway and pit stop. If you're interested in the coffee chaff, PM me and I'll give you more details.

ETA: I think the last raccoon turd I saw was in mid-December. (knock on cedar)

OOOHHH - fabulous idea! I have read the king county site regarding the latrines but had serious doubts that would solve the problem. I am pretty happy they are sticking with that one tree but would love to see them gone for good! Since I must be the only yard in the neighborhood without a dog we get feces from everywhere. I throw all the cat and dog feces at the tree hoping that will make it less exciting for the raccoons. It does seemed to have slowed them down. Still, there was a huge raccoon out there a couple of weeks ago when BF went to lock up the chickens. I will pm for coffee chaff - maybe the coffee smell will perk the ladies into even more laying if nothing else.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I recommend that you use the fan just be careful from day 19-21 as your water will disappear very rapidly. Causing the chicks to be mummified to the inner scrim on the shell.
Just something to watch out for. It may be nothing but just a thought. I probably should of even said anything. No worries.

You'll be able to tell very soon of breed and gender. Matter of fact, I can guide you though what ever it is that you need to know about them.
Mike

Well I am really wondering if I should have left well enough alone. I recently aquired an LG still air bator. Had it running for 3 days and it was stable @ 99. Then I got the bright idea to put my own fan in. Left running overnight and this morning the temp was 106
ep.gif
. Lucky I have no eggs in yet. I am now trying to get stable with the fan on but think I may need to leave the plugs out of the top. Humidity is also 68 according to my hygro. But I am not positive my meter is correct.

Today is gonna be a very busy day. Have to go to town this am then get home move a dog kennell that will become the new home for my bantams so that I can put the new arrivals from Mike in the brood pen in the barn. Looks like this could turn into one of those days of working late:th under the big lights to get it all done.

Good Morning Washingtonians. Today is my Birthday - yippee!! I am heading off to the salon to get my wisdom hairs colored.
smile.png
Maybe my girls, who have been 8/9 recently, will lay that one extra today. Have a fabulous day all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom