Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question.....

So those "pullets" that I recently got are all about 8wk I was told. Now there is one that is very tiney and I could not tell youfor the life of me what it is, other than I think it is a he. Yesterday when I was out side feeding everyone, I heard this wierd sound from the coop that I have never heard before. So I got to where I could see everyone and waited, tiny was making this noise almost like a sort of purring but in a much higher pitch than a cat and "he" did it a few times but also made the movements of when a rooster crows. Now this morning I am hearing the same noise coming from the brooder in the house where my silkie chicks are. Is this what bantoms sound like when they are trying to crow????

I just put my two healthy birds out into the greenhouse. They've been in their brooder a week. Because of their behaviors I felt I *had* to get them outside. It's not raining as hard as it has been. Water does drip from the roof of the greenhouse, but not too much. Problem is, the temperature in the greenhouse is only 60 degrees. How long can I safely leave them out there? They are six weeks old today.

Thanks for your help!

Edited spelling error.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We had something similar last summer. We bought a couple of new birds and the flock came down with "something". We took one to the vet, and all sorts of test were done (somewhat expensive too) but showed none of the big baddies. We did the ACV thing, and after losing the one bird for the necropsy, all the others recovered in under two weeks and we didn't have to cull them.

So, before culling, get everything clean, try ACV, and give it a little bit of time (if you can't afford to have one tested). You may be lucky, like I was.

I have a question.....

So those "pullets" that I recently got are all about 8wk I was told. Now there is one that is very tiney and I could not tell youfor the life of me what it is, other than I think it is a he. Yesterday when I was out side feeding everyone, I heard this wierd sound from the coop that I have never heard before. So I got to where I could see everyone and waited, tiny was making this noise almost like a sort of purring but in a much higher pitch than a cat and "he" did it a few times but also made the movements of when a rooster crows. Now this morning I am hearing the same noise coming from the brooder in the house where my silkie chicks are. Is this what bantoms sound like when they are trying to crow????
Purring sounds usually indicate happiness, like all purrs.
All poultry breeds purr in some way or another...even turkeys.
But no, when Bantams crow, they crow, a higher pitched crow than LF but a croww all the same.

We had something similar last summer. We bought a couple of new birds and the flock came down with "something". We took one to the vet, and all sorts of test were done (somewhat expensive too) but showed none of the big baddies. We did the ACV thing, and after losing the one bird for the necropsy, all the others recovered in under two weeks and we didn't have to cull them.

So, before culling, get everything clean, try ACV, and give it a little bit of time (if you can't afford to have one tested). You may be lucky, like I was.
If it ever happens again, do your necropsies at The Avian Health Lab at WSU in Puyallup...it is very affordible.something like $28 ???????????
Hope you never have to again, but if you do............

I don't know about that Illia, I had a few EEs hatch out that very color, beautiful boys, but as you said before, useless.
Maybe this "hen" needs more light ?
Are the others laying & just this one is not laying...?
I have had a few hens just not lay or not lay often.
Upon butchering I noticed they had NO ovaries, or very few.
Just a genetic deal in that particular breed.
Made good soup though.
smile.png

There are indeed gold duckwing EE's with Columbian gene that are somewhat similar but no rooster is exactly that color unless he carries the Henny gene, which, is very rare. You'd only find it in American Games, Oriental Games, Sebrights, and Campines.

If the bird was just purchased, wait. New situations can stall laying for months often. If you've had it for a while it is probably just too young. It kinda looks like a mutt or a Wheaten Marans from here, and either could take up to the age of 10 months to lay. But the wait is worth it if it is a Marans.

We looked at Coryza they have no smell, ILT they are not coughing up blood or stretching their necks. They are having all the symptoms that Mg has. Now the major question with treating them and they get better will they go back to laying like they were?
Chickielady thank you I have the solution being put together. They are gonna start immediatly.

he.gif
We bought 2 of our chickens from a breeder in the Seattle area, our flock seemed fine for a about a week then they all started having runny beaks and coughing having trouble breathing. This didn't start till we got the ones from the breeder. From what we have found out they are Infectious Coryza carriers cause now we have to cull the whole flock. Looks like we are out of the chicken business for awhile cause we cant afford to replace our flock cause we put everything we had into the old flock.
Sorry to hear this.
hugs.gif
I know it is too late for you but may help others to remember ANY TIME one gets new birds ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS quarantine the new birds before adding them to your flock. This is NOT a guarantee of stopping the spread of any disease but it can really help and gives one a chance to watch for signs of illness etc.
Also if possible try to know the breeder/seller.

Please don't take this as me criticizing you. I am only trying to help others learn. Sadly it is related to your loss.

Sorry to hear this.
hugs.gif
I know it is too late for you but may help others to remember ANY TIME one gets new birds ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS quarantine the new birds before adding them to your flock. This is NOT a guarantee of stopping the spread of any disease but it can really help and gives one a chance to watch for signs of illness etc.
Also if possible try to know the breeder/seller.

Please don't take this as me criticizing you. I am only trying to help others learn. Sadly it is related to your loss.

Thank you we have such little space that its really hard. I am kick myself for not having enough room!

I would seriously consider switching feed to Scratch and Peck Naturally Free. There's no soy or corn, which could be what is getting into the eggs you are testing allergic to. Our kids are dairy/soy/gluten intolerant and we are going to be using Scratch and Peck starting as soon as the 10lbs of feed I have left is gone. The babies are 8 weeks old today!!!!! I have a single 11lb feeder almost full of their medicated chick starter left, then we get to make the switch! I'm super excited since I already know they love the new feed, I've been giving them a little every day to get them used to whole grains before inundating their systems with it.

If wheat or soy got into the hen's eggs....it would kill me.
And I can eat hen's eggs fine.
But antibiotics may stay in hen's eggs as well as other medications that commercial egg factories use.
And that may bother quite a few people.
I actually have a dedicated egg customer who comes every 2 weeks to get 2 doz XL eggs for her dog.
The dog is allergic to just about everything & she has taken it for expensive testing.
The store bought eggs cause the dog some sort of allergic greif, but my eggs do not.
So she says.
She feeds her dog 1 egg a day  :D

CL, somebody sent me a gluten-free brownie recipe yesterday; I could ship it on if you're curious.

I'm seriously messed up already today; I overslept and have somehow done something truly awful to my left hand so that I can't un-curl my index finger. And I have to get ready to be gone tomorrow night and Saturday, a process which includes writing a comprehensive and detailed chicken-care list for DD.

I am not tingling in happy anticipation over that task, let me tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom