Wasting disease in Freedom Rangers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by denasfarm, Mar 1, 2013.

1. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I bought my Freedom ranger chicks back in November with high hopes of beautiful plump tasty meat...There is a FR thread with pictures and talk of when my birds arrived and my excitement.
    I should have butchered them last week but they are Thin and boney as heck. You don't notice it unless you pick them up. I cannot feed them enough. I have tried and tried and they are always starving. They were on just scratch(to be all natural) then I added tucker all stock (I feed it to the cow anyway) to give them more and they were still hungry. They are free ranging on my 3+ acres and my neighbors acres so they should NOT be starving. NOW this week I have had six die! They look like they are starving to death. No meat no muscle...full crops but starving! Wasting away?? I have other breeds, some I bought at the same time as the FRs and they look great, my old birds look great, my geese look great....these birds look horrid! I would be ashamed for anyone to see them!
    Should I call the Freedom Ranger company? Is this inherited? Anyone else have this happening? Makes me SICK!
    No need in butchering them, There is more meat on my Bantam Cochins! I don't know what to do now I have wasted time and a lot of money!

2. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    After searching around I have come to the conclusion that we have Mareks disease. The ones with the failing legs I thought was from being Broilers with legs going out from the weight. They are anorexic looking. They are always starving. I have one with droopy eyes and my husband reminded me we lost a 1year old game hen about three weeks ago. I thought the cow stepped on her but it must have been the legs again. I have two more sick, one...its legs have gone out and its acting disoriented. The other I found standing in the field all puffed up like a ball rocking back and forth with its eyes shut...

So Now what??

Do I kill them ALL?

I cant eat them now...If I wait it out can I eat them later?

Burn the bodies?

What about the rest of my flock? I have 60 some birds here, some are 7-8 years old! I don't want to lose them all!

Can my Geese get this?

What about eating the eggs from my adult birds...

Once this is over can I still sell birds? or am I contaminated for life?

3. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    The Two sick yesterday are dead and I have two more sick rangers and one sick EE Cochin cross today.

How long does it take this disease to run its course?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by