Watch dogs!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GrumpyOldMan, Aug 21, 2010.

1. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    I was wondering when the watchdog would come out in our geese. It’s here!!!!! The house next-door has been vacant since before we got the two boys. Yesterday someone (contractor) was working on the house and went into the back yard to do something. The two boys went bonkers, honking and jabbering and honking. Wife had to go out and it took her a while to calm them down. She called me at work so I could hear them sounding off. They were really upset; they did not like having strangers next-door. They’re 4 months old now.

2. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Good Geese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    They are super "watch dogs". Nobody and I mean nobody even attempts to come into my back yard. I know anytime anything is odd in the neighborhood because they alert us to anything or anyone out of the ordinary [​IMG]

4. SunnybrookFarm

SunnybrookFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    You bet. When mine were only 3 weeks old my barn cat sniffed one on the butt. It whipped around hissing and popped him hard on the head. Needless to say my cats leave em' alone.lol I am actually going to put bunnie house in their yard. They love the bunnies like babies and nothing goes in their pen with 4 geese acting like the rabbits are their goslings.

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Mine are just over four months old as well. Yes they sure are watch dogs.

6. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I would love to have a few watch-geese. What breed are yours?

7. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Quote:Pilgrim. Very sweet and dossal with us. Haven’t had strangers close to them yet so I don’t know how they’ll react close up, but they sure cut up a ruckuses when they hear people where there weren’t any before.

8. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    That is exactly what my geese always do!

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I also have Pilgrim geese. Love them!

10. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    Ooh, glad to hear they are Pilgrims. I was wondering if ours would ever protest strangers. They're about 4 months old, but haven't minded anyone so far. Not that the dogs don't let us know everything that passes through the property, but the geese are housed with the chickens at the moment and I'm hoping for a bit of an alarm should raccoons or weasels try to get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by