Watch my brahma mix chick grow up!

Pics

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So this is the 2nd chick I have hatched from my own birds, (very exciting!) And I actually know who the parents are! The baby has feathered legs and my only feather legged roo is my brahma. The baby came from an olive egg which I only have 2 Olive layers. The black speck on the back has me believing the Mom is my black and white Olive egger - Petunia. (My other Olive egger is red and white)

I thought I would document it growing up, for my records if nothing else. All my eggs died except this one, (incubator malfunction) I was about to toss it on day 23 but I heard intense cheeping and put it back!

Enjoy! Name suggestions appreciated!

Dad - Zazu, Dark Brahma (pardon his scraggly neck, we have a feather plucker🙄)
20220209_144210.jpg

Mom - Petunia, Olive Egger. She has a mix of a straight comb, and a wavy looking comb? Something similar to a legbar. Just very short. Looks to be a mix of a pea comb and straight comb possibly.
20220209_144240.jpg

About 12 hours old. Due to incubator malfunction, this was the only egg to hatch out of 20. So this a strong little baby!!
20220205_114539.jpg

5 days old! Just noticed it has a short beak like mom.
Snapchat-756714948.jpg

Snapchat-1388031243.jpg

It has a tiny little black spot on its back just like mom's speckles!
Snapchat-110858371.jpg

Baby definitely has the brahma "stance" those that have brahmas know what I'm talking about, they stand more upright. Looks kinda like an ostrich to me😂

@The-White-Elephant
This is the place I use. I do the blood/toenail test, at home kit. They have great instructions!

My only advice is to send your sample off on a Monday, they'll get it on Wednesday and youll have results by Friday. Never send off on a friday, they won't get the samples until Wednesday/thursday the next week.

https://dnacenter.com/testing-pets-vets/bird-dna-testing/

Oh wow! Too puny? As in?
Silkies just don't seem to be very hardy birds in my opinion. I don't like that they are thinner than other bantams. They just seem to be finicky. Maybe I just don't want to put the work in that they need. Lol

They are susceptible to vitamin deficiencies and head injuries. I personally don't have the time to give special treatment to my birds, maybe one day I have a special coop and stuff for them though!

Back
Top Bottom