Watch Your Mill Dates!

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Hi Everyone:frow

This is just a reminder to look at your mill dates when you purchase feed. Look for dates that are not more than a few weeks out if at all possible. The older the feed, the better chance of breakdown in nutrients (degradation of vitamins/minerals) and feed can become rancid and stale.

I went to my local TSC to get more feed. There were only 2 bags of Flock Raiser on the shelf. They were both "old" in my book, mill dates were from end of last year! It's rare that this feed is more than a few weeks old when I purchase it, so most likely the store pulled everything from the stock room to give way to new shipments of feed (chick days is starting soon!).

Anyway, check your mill dates, if they don't have any "fresh" on the floor, ask nicely if they have any in the stockroom. If they don't, then ask when the next shipment comes.

If feed is consistently "out of date", politely ask to speak with the manager or the general/regional manager. For my store, the employees are very polite and try to be helpful, but they do not have control over inventory, they really do just work there, so take your concerns to someone that does have the authority to hear your complaints and can work with you to correct them.

Substitute, if you have to, with a small bag of fresh feed to get you by. For me, I had feed, but went ahead and picked up a small bag of chick starter "just in case".

All feed bags should have some type of mill date and usually a paper label. I took some photos:)

This is Dumor 20% chick starter - "8" stands for 2018, "FEB" is February, 01 is the day - the other letters and numbers I assume is what plant/mill it was made.
upload_2018-2-17_15-0-30.png

Usually a paper feed tag is attached to the paper strip that has the mill date. This should give you the nutritional analysis and ingredients. I will not buy a bag without it.
upload_2018-2-17_15-3-3.png

Here's one of my old bags of Purina Flock Raiser - (Dec 19, 2017) Some manufacturers may use a code, so if you aren't able to cypher the label, contact them, they should be able to clarify any questions you have.
upload_2018-2-17_15-16-39.png

Kudos to you Wyorp! You get the best post of the day award. Thank you for jumping on this soap box. I am always stomping around on the soap box about old feed. I simply won't buy feed at a feed store if it's old. I've given up shopping at a local big box feed store in my nearest city. The stuff they had on the shelves was often 2 months old. Any time I asked if there was any fresher product, the answer was always no, and I was belittled for thinking my birds deserved fresh feed. Then, it was suggested that I buy their more expensive product. No thank you. Such service is not service, and I will be taking my business elsewhere. If all poultry owners refused to accept old feed, the lack of standardization in feed quality might improve.

Good post Wyorp :thumbsup
I switched to Bartlett mill feed, because I always had a problem getting fresh feed from my local TSC. I buy direct from the mill in Statesville, NC. It is usually less than 1 - 2 weeks old from the mill date. If anyone is interested in Bartlett mill feed, the date code is stamped on the back with the day and year it was milled. This one is 039 18 a little hard to read.

20180217_170152.jpg

20180217_170122.jpg

Back
Top Bottom