Water additives

rehdancer

Songster
5 Years
Apr 2, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Hi All, Getting ready for winter - we've already had a couple of hard freezes !! I add ACV (apple cider vinegar) to the water for my girls and they seem to like it. I would also like to add electrolytes as a support for winter stress once it gets seriously cold. Is it advisable to combine the two additives?
PS. Now getting 2 eggs per day !!

Any additives in water, you should also offer plain water in another container.

ACV should not be used in metal pans or waterers - it will react and corrode.

Using ACV and electrolytes together, I’m not sure if that would cause a problem.

Personally I don't add the 2 together. Give your elec/vit supplement once a week. Just as an FYI there is some disagreement about giving ACV regularly b/c of the acidity. Try giving it once a week too.
They don't need a constant supply of vitamins and electrolytes so weekly will be quite sufficient :)

I believe electrolytes with ACV is fine, from my reading you should not mix ACV with probiotics. I have been using tonics from Moonlight Mile Herb Farm year round for years as water supplements. As well as her tinctures and ointments for natural healing solutions. Susan makes products for year round support they are amazing products and I trust her products. http://www.moonlightmileherbs.com/poultryproducts.html

Any additives in water, you should also offer plain water in another container.
Ditto Dat!!!^^^

Constant long term, or even occasional, ACV doesn't do much for the birds and could even be detrimental. More for humans keepers to feel like they are 'doing something'.

Electrolytes also should not be given constantly.
I give mine a dose once a week during temperature extremes.
It really helps for cold stress as well as heat stress.

Hot weather
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

Cold weather

I've started soaking rolled oats in a Sav-A-Chick electrolyte/vitamin solution.
This avoids the 'wattle dippage' of an open waterer.
Gives them a boost and gets them hydrated.
1/8 teaspoon to 1 cup of warm water, mix until dissolved.
Add solution to 1 cup of rolled oats, stir well on occasion until all liquid is absorbed, might need to add more oats. Takes an hour or two, then give it to the birds.

Have done this every other day during this last polar vortex, and I believe it's really helped them, they all stayed mobile. Gives me a good chance to assess mobility, any bird that doesn't go for the oats gets watched very carefully and may be brought to a warmer place for a couple hours to 'reset'.

I believe electrolytes with ACV is fine, from my reading you should not mix ACV with probiotics. I have been using tonics from Moonlight Mile Herb Farm year round for years as water supplements. As well as her tinctures and ointments for natural healing solutions. Susan makes products for year round support they are amazing products and I trust her products. http://www.moonlightmileherbs.com/poultryproducts.html
Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom