Water Belly symptoms

Oh, gee, I'm sorry. That's about right for a serious stuck egg to kill a hen, though. But it could be something else, too. Like internal laying. It will be obvious when you open her abdominal cavity if an egg issue caused this death.

All of her organs appeared to be in good shape.... (compared to necropsy images I've seen). I did not include pictures of them as it was too messy to handle and photograph. I did photograph what I believe to be an internal lay. This solid and somewhat flakey mass the size of a grapefruit was in her abdomen. It was in a very thin membrane. There was only a small amount of fluid in her abdomen with a small amount of cheesey yellow material. This mass was what was the visable lump in her belly.

Comments? Thoughts? How long would it take for a mass to get this large? I found no signs of a shell in it.

Attachments

• 20210619_102856.jpg
    20210619_102856.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210619_102907.jpg
    20210619_102907.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210619_102911.jpg
    20210619_102911.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210619_102917.jpg
    20210619_102917.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210619_102923.jpg
    20210619_102923.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 10
All of her organs appeared to be in good shape.... (compared to necropsy images I've seen). I did not include pictures of them as it was too messy to handle and photograph. I did photograph what I believe to be an internal lay. This solid and somewhat flakey mass the size of a grapefruit was in her abdomen. It was in a very thin membrane. There was only a small amount of fluid in her abdomen with a small amount of cheesey yellow material. This mass was what was the visable lump in her belly.

Comments? Thoughts? How long would it take for a mass to get this large? I found no signs of a shell in it.
Nice job on doing the necropsy. Thank you for the photos.
I'm not sure how long it takes for a mass to get that large. It could still be Salpingitis, just the lash material dropped into the abdomen and the body continued to add layers. Internal Laying is also a good possibility even if you didn't find a shell, with Internal laying it can be yolk/white that has dropped into the abdomen and was "wrapped up", but sometimes a whole egg can be found too. To be honest, they can look quite similar from what I've studied.

That's also my take. I lean toward a massive accumulation of salpingitis pus. Internal laying produces easily recognizable eggs, hard boiled by the hen's body heat.

Salpingitis can go on for a year or more before it kills. I would expect the size of the mass has only a little to do with time interval and a lot to do with the hen's immune response to the bacteria by producing the lymphocytes that form the lash material.

That's also my take. I lean toward a massive accumulation of salpingitis pus. Internal laying produces easily recognizable eggs, hard boiled by the hen's body heat.

Salpingitis can go on for a year or more before it kills. I would expect the size of the mass has only a little to do with time interval and a lot to do with the hen's immune response to the bacteria by producing the lymphocytes that form the lash material.
I'm thinking I agree with this. The material peeled apart in layers, kind of like the small amounts we found. This might be why we haven't found any lash material for some time now. She was hiding it. Do you think it is possible for the lash material to drop into the abdomen and her NOT pass any more? Except for a small bright yellow area deep in the mass, that I thought may have been yoke, I found nothing that looked like egg.

Back
Top Bottom