Water cups

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
I’m thinking of getting some water cups for the inside of my coop but I’m wondering if they actually work, my reason for getting them is because when I have a regular gravity feeder in there WATER GOES EVERYWHERE not because it tips over or leaks but because the ducks we have decide to play with the water with their bills and thus getting it everywhere so since then I haven’t been putting their waterer in with them at night, but I was wondering if the cups would work with ducks and make less of a watery mess? I just want the flock to have water at night instead of waiting till I let them out in the morning. I’m considering buying this waterer so if anyone has it please tell me if it works!

A4CDCC0F-A3C1-4A39-9927-8B9F5534A408.jpeg

I’m thinking of getting some water cups for the inside of my coop but I’m wondering if they actually work, my reason for getting them is because when I have a regular gravity feeder in there WATER GOES EVERYWHERE not because it tips over or leaks but because the ducks we have decide to play with the water with their bills and thus getting it everywhere so since then I haven’t been putting their waterer in with them at night, but I was wondering if the cups would work with ducks and make less of a watery mess? I just want the flock to have water at night instead of waiting till I let them out in the morning. I’m considering buying this waterer so if anyone has it please tell me if it works!

View attachment 2438730
My ducks made a mess with the waterers you have pictured.... and I'm not sure they could get their noses in there to clean them. My ducks are capable of using these to drink out of as well as horizontal and vertical nipples, but I think they are only drinking from them, not using them while eating to keep their noses clean.
This was my hope for my ducks as well at the end of last year. I will be taking the cups off and changing them to horizontal or vertical nipples for the chickens instead. The chickens never seemed to understand how to peck the yellow lever to get water into the cups. They were used to less work to get water out I guess.
1617655815156.png

I also tried this one that is supposed to auto fill.... no such luck. Most of the time one side would overfill especially if it was being hung and all the water would run out. They send you an extra cup because it is sometimes an issue, but I finally gave up. I was using this style in my grow out pen. The top one you mentioned with the main flock. I had one like you have pictured with regular nipples several years ago I loved (for chickens not ducks) but the plastic became brittle from being outside after close to 2 years. So I would think about where you are putting it. Mine wasn't in direct sun.... but next time I will put in barn or covered area to last longer.

My ducks made a mess with the waterers you have pictured.... and I'm not sure they could get their noses in there to clean them. My ducks are capable of using these to drink out of as well as horizontal and vertical nipples, but I think they are only drinking from them, not using them while eating to keep their noses clean.
This was my hope for my ducks as well at the end of last year. I will be taking the cups off and changing them to horizontal or vertical nipples for the chickens instead. The chickens never seemed to understand how to peck the yellow lever to get water into the cups. They were used to less work to get water out I guess.
View attachment 2600788
I also tried this one that is supposed to auto fill.... no such luck. Most of the time one side would overfill especially if it was being hung and all the water would run out. They send you an extra cup because it is sometimes an issue, but I finally gave up. I was using this style in my grow out pen. The top one you mentioned with the main flock. I had one like you have pictured with regular nipples several years ago I loved (for chickens not ducks) but the plastic became brittle from being outside after close to 2 years. So I would think about where you are putting it. Mine wasn't in direct sun.... but next time I will put in barn or covered area to last longer.
That’s a chick waterer...

You should really try horizontal nipples or cups

That’s a chick waterer...

You should really try horizontal nipples or cups
Correct, and that is what I was using that particular one for.... I do/have tried horizontal and vertical nipples as well as a couple different styles of cup waterers. My favorites are the horizontal and all of my chickens have access to them, including my chicks, I also have vertical waterers that most have access to, the cups I have all but given up on....

Back
Top Bottom