Water Glassing: Egg Preservation Experiment!

Pics

drstratton

Enabler
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
After watching a video on Water Glassing earlier this year, I decided that I would like to try and preserve my eggs for winter using this method! I plan on pulling an egg out each month to see how well they are holding up! I'm super excited about seeing the results from this process...my husband...not so much...:gig

I will eventually add all of the information of my experiment into an article!

I purchased a 1 gallon glass jar with a lid. I am using Mrs. Wages: Pickling Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) and also some Olive oil as suggested in the video to help keep the water from evaporating! One thing that I think I did wrong from the start was that I didn't get the lime mixed as thoroughly as I should have, so I've been going in and gently spinning the jar left, right, left, right...I will continue to do this until it's fully dissolved!

So the tools & steps I used:
A 1 gallon Jar with lid...glass or plastic works fine
1 oz. Calcium Hydroxide (Lime) (Make sure you use only Calcium Hydroxide with no other additives)
1 quart cool water
40 eggs per gallon seemed to be a good fit
Olive oil

Thoroughly mix your Lime into the quart of water (1oz lime to 1 quart of water is the ratio)(do not do as I did :D ). I already had my eggs in the container (I wanted to have as many as it would hold and decided I would pour the lime mixture over the top...one quart was perfect in my container), but you can mix in the jar and add the eggs after, which is what I will do next time since I now know I can fit in 40 eggs to 1 quart! I then poured some olive oil on top and covered with the lid!

Day 1
I have it sitting on my laundry room counter at the moment...once the Lime is better dissolved I will place it in my storeroom in the basement! It's cooler and has less daylight!
Day 1 Water Glassing Experiment 11.12.2020.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I have been planning to try it once I have enough surplus eggs; but I'll never really have a lot because I only have 3 chickens. I may try it using Mason jars. Here is a description of how to do it using Mason jars, which hold 14-18 eggs.
Thank you, I will look at this! I have 16 layers, so I have way more eggs than we can eat and I also share them with friends & family! 💞

I want to try this, but I have a cock with my hens so I'm not certain how my potentially fertilized eggs would hold up.

Although, I guess there's no harm in trying. 🤷‍♀️
I have 16 hens & 6 roosters...the roosters are about to get thinned out. I'm pretty sure that the eggs from the video are fertilized...and I'm also certain that all of the homesteads that have done this all those years use fertilized eggs too. They should turn out fine!😊

After watching a video on Water Glassing earlier this year, I decided that I would like to try and preserve my eggs for winter using this method! I plan on pulling an egg out each month to see how well they are holding up! I'm super excited about seeing the results from this process...my husband...not so much...:gig

I will eventually add all of the information of my experiment into an article!

I purchased a 1 gallon glass jar with a lid. I am using Mrs. Wages: Pickling Lime (Calcium Hydroxide) and also some Olive oil as suggested in the video to help keep the water from evaporating! One thing that I think I did wrong from the start was that I didn't get the lime mixed as thoroughly as I should have, so I've been going in and gently spinning the jar left, right, left, right...I will continue to do this until it's fully dissolved!

So the tools & steps I used:
A 1 gallon Jar with lid...glass or plastic works fine
1 oz. Calcium Hydroxide (Lime) (Make sure you use only Calcium Hydroxide with no other additives)
1 quart cool water
40 eggs per gallon seemed to be a good fit
Olive oil

Thoroughly mix your Lime into the quart of water (1oz lime to 1 quart of water is the ratio)(do not do as I did :D ). I already had my eggs in the container (I wanted to have as many as it would hold and decided I would pour the lime mixture over the top...one quart was perfect in my container), but you can mix in the jar and add the eggs after, which is what I will do next time since I now know I can fit in 40 eggs to 1 quart! I then poured some olive oil on top and covered with the lid!

Day 1
I have it sitting on my laundry room counter at the moment...once the Lime is better dissolved I will place it in my storeroom in the basement! It's cooler and has less daylight!
View attachment 2408989

Interesting, what will you do with the eggs if I may ask?

Back
Top Bottom