Water Jar

wxdude99

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Montgomery Area
Is there a homemade way of making a watering jar for baby chicks. I should be getting my chicks tomorrow, but i was only able to find a 1 gallon waterer at the local feed store. thanks.

I used a 1 gallon waterer and a one quart waterer. They went through both fairly quickly and made a mess of both. I was told by a number of people to put marbles in the waterer trough to prevent the chicks from drowning, but they can still easily get the water.

I assume you want to make a gravity waterer. Get a plastic drip tray for a planter - you know the thing that looks like a saucer. The get a plastic drinking cup put a couple of small holes in the lip of the cup (like 1/4"). Make sure the holes are below the level of the edge of the planter tray. Now fill your cup with water. Put the planter on the top of it, turn it upside down and you have a little waterer. You may want to put some marbles around the tray to keep the chicks from drowning. Just FYI, I use a 1 gallon chick waterer since it was like $5.00. May not be worth your time to make one. Hope that helps.

That's a good Idea. I wish i'd thought of it!!!
hu.gif

fill a mayo jar with water. put a saucer on top. turn it over.vacuum keeps it from wooshing out.but the vacuum is working too well it doesnt even drip out. now I put a quarter under the lip to break the seal. It still wont come out. what should we do?

Back
Top Bottom