Water Nipples Question

Good morning! I'm getting ready to set up a new chick brooder and was looking at ideas on a brooder thread I found here. He used water nipples in a gravity fed system. My question is, how hard is it to train new babies to use them! I would also love it if anyone has any other suggestions. This is a great site! Thank you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...post-pics-of-your-brooders.6233/post-15313401
My chicks are 4 days old. I have both an open waterer and horizontal nipple waterer. Started with nipples only, but was concerned a couple of the small chicks would not be able to use it. I will remove the open waterer when I think they’re all able to drink to satisfaction. I also know they say to remove other sources of water when introducing nipple system, but some use nipples and some (most) use open waterer. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll get it right!

The day I recieved them, at ~1.5 days old, mine took right to it. I gave everyone a drink from the open waterer and the morning, within minutes some of the chics went after the red nipples, and by evening they are all using the nipples. No training by me. Some still use the open waterer but most use the nipples.

Here's a post with my video taken a few minutes after they were all in the brooder.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-brooder-built-pic-heavy.1349879/post-22330975
These are vertical nipples,
much easier for tiny chicks to use,
much harder to keep thawed in winter.

These are vertical nipples,
much easier for tiny chicks to use,
much harder to keep thawed in winter.

Yes, that's why my outdoor waterer plans for horizontal nipples. For the brooder I figure this is a good way to start them off and when they see the horizontal ones they will know what to do.

I see in my other post I put horizontal and should have said vertical

I tried water nipples when mine were still little. Before I figured out what was up, I had one dead of dehydration and one looking pretty poor. I was able to nurse her back as well as the rest, but it soured me on the nipples. I know many people use them successfully, but I’m mighty fun shy about giving them a second try even now as adults.

I worry about that with little chicks so I've always done an open waterer (cleaning it out daily isn't THAT much of a chore). Since I have hens that are all using nipple waterers the chicks will learn to use the nipples as they grow older, just by watching the hens.

I've repeatedly read that chicks need to be 3 weeks old for horizontal nipples in order to be positive they are strong enough to operate them. Before that vertical or open waterers are necessary.

I've repeatedly read that chicks need to be 3 weeks old for horizontal nipples in order to be positive they are strong enough to operate them. Before that vertical or open waterers are necessary.
Yep, pretty much.
I have both HN's and open waterer for first couple weeks.
VN's are a PITA, IMO... leaky and can't set the vessel down.
Have tried them, not worth the trouble.

Good morning! I'm getting ready to set up a new chick brooder and was looking at ideas on a brooder thread I found here. He used water nipples in a gravity fed system. My question is, how hard is it to train new babies to use them! I would also love it if anyone has any other suggestions. This is a great site! Thank you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...post-pics-of-your-brooders.6233/post-15313401

It was bike while bottles and then put the spicket on he bottom with our chicks and had no problem. If you attach it to the side of your Box will do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom