Water source for Swimming for Ducks without endangering Chicks.

Serentix

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2018
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and raising chicks/ducks, so please let me know if I've posted this in the wrong section.

My family has decided to get some chicks and ducks. We have 6 chicks (4 are about 4.5 weeks old, 2 are about 7.5 weeks old.) and 2 ducks (we believe they're about 1 - 1.5 months old; The guy at Rural King didn't say how old they were when we got them). I'd like to set up some sort of area for the ducks to be able to swim and dunk their heads, but I don't want to put the chicks in any danger seeing as they can't swim and will just sink. I've thought about fencing off a smaller area inside their run that we'll only allow the ducks to access with a kiddie pool inside, but I'd like to hear others' suggestions/opinions.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Info

Run Size: Approx. 500 Sq.Ft, 6ft tall (No roof yet, plan on applying it this weekend).

I have my run divided. One side for the ducks and one side for the chickens since they are two different species - one who likes a wet environment and the other likes a dry environment.
I have 5 chickens and 4 ducks with a 16x16 run. I gave the ducks more space since they needed a pool. :)
If you post pics of your ducks, we might be able to help you figure out their ages.

I have my run divided. One side for the ducks and one side for the chickens since they are two different species - one who likes a wet environment and the other likes a dry environment.
I have 5 chickens and 4 ducks with a 16x16 run. I gave the ducks more space since they needed a pool. :)
If you post pics of your ducks, we might be able to help you figure out their ages.

Thanks for the input! Here are pictures of our ducks, I've also included pictures of our chicks just for fun.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
Very cute. Since they are already in the same pen, maybe just creating an area for chickens and one for the ducks. Separate, but in the same run. Which is basically what I have - except, I had to make a barrier because my chickens and ducks didn't get along. I should have let them work it out in the beginning.
My chickens do go into the duck side when I let the ducks out to free range. They never go into the pool. They just stand at the edge and drink if they want.
Also, just as a precaution if you have a drake and they are raised together they could potentially try to mate a chicken which could turn out bad for the hen. Roosters trying to mate a duck is just a nuisance, but the opposite could be detrimental.

As for your pictures - I had the sideways posting when I posted from a secondary source. So, if my pics were originally loaded on my phone, but then i posted from my tablet (or another device that it loads to) it would post sideways. But, I only had it happen when I posted to Instagram. Are you using the byc app?

As for your pictures - I had the sideways posting when I posted from a secondary source. So, if my pics were originally loaded on my phone, but then i posted from my tablet (or another device that it loads to) it would post sideways. But, I only had it happen when I posted to Instagram. Are you using the byc app?
That must be the issue then, I took the photos with my phone and uploaded them to my PC to post them. At least now I know for the future. All of ours are female and they seem to get along just fine, they poked at one another a few times during the first day they were all together, but since then we haven't noticed any issues. Any idea how old these ducks may be based on the photos provided?

That must be the issue then, I took the photos with my phone and uploaded them to my PC to post them. At least now I know for the future. All of ours are female and they seem to get along just fine, they poked at one another a few times during the first day they were all together, but since then we haven't noticed any issues. Any idea how old these ducks may be based on the photos provided?
Oh also the sideways pics happened when I tried to edit the pics.
As far as the ducks - they don't have adult feathers yet - maybe 2- 4 weeks? Probably closer to 4 weeks? I have muscovy, so they feather a bit differently. It looks like rouen and a buff?

Back
Top Bottom