1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water test 26 days

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cotoletta, May 8, 2015.

1. cotoletta

cotoletta Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    Hi my 3 eggs are gone 26 days now(no incubator, but through my broody) I just did the water test and the were in the middle of the water but not moving at all.
    Do you think maybe theyre dead?
    If so, why would all 3 die after they have fully grown?
    Pleaze help me, :(

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Sorry, they are probably gone. After about 24 days, I don't want them to hatch anyway. Chances are they wouldn't be healthy. Every batch I have 1 or 2 that fully develop, but never pip. If they don't hatch, it just wasn't meant to be. The may not have been healthy, something wasn't exactly right, etc...
    A broody is the best incubator there is, so if none hatched, there's nothing more you could have done

3. SammyD

SammyD New Egg

May 2, 2015
    I had two hatch from a broody a week late and both are doing fine. I do have two more that are over that and the water test was positive, but with no movement. Ready to get rid of them, but poor hen is still sitting.

4. cotoletta

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    Hmmmm
    I'm gutted if they're dead... I might leave till Sunday then and water test again. If still no movement I guess it's chick heaven they go.
    Not sure if a dumb Q but should I crack the egg to see what has happened or should I not bother?

5. SammyD

SammyD New Egg

May 2, 2015
    Sad to say the last batch was underdeveloped and died awhile ago.[​IMG]

6. cotoletta

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. SammyD

SammyD New Egg

May 2, 2015
    My little one was upset. She is mad at the hen.

8. SammyD

SammyD New Egg

May 2, 2015
    If your wondering why they died you could. Somewhere there is a very detailed post (with pics) about finding out why they died.

9. SammyD

SammyD New Egg

May 2, 2015
    just type in why my chick died in the search area for this site. It should be the first one that pops up . Hope that helps.

10. cotoletta

Jul 17, 2014
    London England
    Oh bless her! Hope she will be okay! [​IMG]
    Ok I think I will have a good search as to why they have does, thanks for the tip.
    It's such a shame for them to get all this way and then not hatch. Was thinking about getting other eggs under the hen but she's getting quite unwell, lost a lot of weight and feathers and her comb is so pale. Poor thing! Very dedicated hen which makes it somewhat more heartbreaking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by