Waterer trouble

2dancingrats

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Bay City, Michigan
Bought a new 5 gallon waterer. Plastic vacuum type waterer with a screw cap at the bottom of the tank.
About every other time I use it, it doesn't make a vacuum and all of the water runs out in about an hour.
Bought it for the hen house, but once I had the great stinky flood and had to clean and dry the whole thing I moved it to the run. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a BS waterer? Bought it at TS. Would love to return it, but not sure they'd take it since I've been trying to use it for a couple of weeks.

I had similar problems with a waterer just like yours. Two things one has to watch out:
1) make sure that you screw the top on really tightly. If it is even a little too loose the vacuum doesn't form.
2) and more importantly, make sure he rubber gasket that enables the vacuum to form is still there. It is a rubber ring that goes inside the lid to create the seal. One time when filling mine up, I had thrown the lid on the ground, the gasket had popped out, and I didn't notice it until - just as you say - I lost five gallons of water and had a flooded hen house. I found the gasket on the ground and was able to fix the problem.

I have to admit though, that this is not my favorite waterer. I use it now in the run, and I lug a pail of water in a bucket for inside. And, of course, that waterer is useless in the winter when water freezes.
roll.png

Just checked that waterer. The gasket was on the upper neck of the container. The instructions refer to it as the "lid gasket". Does it belong inside of the lid or on the bottle.
Thanks from the dummy.

I am not sure, but I had one of those once that leaked all the time. I finally exchanged it and the next one worked fine. Why don't you go to the store and see if the others are assembled like yours is

Back
Top Bottom