Waterers?

That’s the kind I have, the metal that ya carry like a bucket. I dig using it b/c it is so easy to carry. No mold problems (maybe b/c it’s CA and sooo dry).

But when pushing the lid down to let the water squirt out I’m never sure where I’m supposed to stop. How do you know when just the right trickle is coming out?

Also, I fill up a gallon (or is it 1 ½?) every two days for six hens. They also drink outside the coop when they free range in the afternoon. Does that amount of drinking sound normal?

5 gallon bucket cut down to about 4-5 inches tall. Doesn't leak and I can get a truck load for $30. We were worried a little about it turning into a bird bath so I put a rock in the middle and it stays clean and they stay out.

Quote:
Shove the lid all the way down. Every metal waterer I've seen has a slot cut in the lid that matches a pin on the side of the inner bucket. You shove the lid down and twist it so the pin slides in the slot, locking it in place.

The metal lid doesn't make an air tight seal against the inner bucket, so air flows just fine. It's the water in the outer ring making a seal against the outer lid that regulates the unit.

A gallon every two days for a half dozen birds sounds about typical to me. I have a roughly 3 gallon bucket I use for my half dozen birds. I fill it about once a week. That's about the same water usage.

Oh boy,,,it was the seal!!!!! Either that or I put it on flatter ground. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of these things. Thanks foxtrapper, you are a wealth of waterer information. I only use those little 1 gallon flip over things when I have chicks. I am up to 20 birds so I like the 3 gallon ones and do not want to be filling them every single day. So now I have a galvanized and will have two of those plastic ones with the screw handles when it comes from e-bay. That should suffice for the summer. As long as chickens have been around you would think someone would invent a better waterer. lol

Quote:
Shove the lid all the way down. Every metal waterer I've seen has a slot cut in the lid that matches a pin on the side of the inner bucket. You shove the lid down and twist it so the pin slides in the slot, locking it in place.

The metal lid doesn't make an air tight seal against the inner bucket, so air flows just fine. It's the water in the outer ring making a seal against the outer lid that regulates the unit.

A gallon every two days for a half dozen birds sounds about typical to me. I have a roughly 3 gallon bucket I use for my half dozen birds. I fill it about once a week. That's about the same water usage.

Wish I read this before I punted waterer across the yard. Today was garbage day lol
sad.png

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has problems with their waterers. It seems like I have done it ALL. The 5 gallon buckets with the holes at the bottom(water went everywhere-not enuff suction with the lid on it, i think) and even the holes in the top, fill it up, flip it upside down and put a hog pan under it(got water everywhere also. It's very awkward to try and do by yourself). A friend of mine gave me one of the metal waterers and the ring is worn and doesnt hold water either, I put block ice in it for them, so atleast it will melt out kind of slow. I also have one of the one gallon plastic waterers with the red bottom, I usually fill it with water and let it freeze also. I haven't had problems with this one yet, except that it really does not due justice for all the birds. Now I am also resorting to just having a hog pan out there and putting frozen blocks of ice in it. I know this won't work for winter, but now they love it.

I went yesterday and got a galvanized waterer. Maybe it won't last, but so far I like it a whole lot better than the plastic one. It's so much easier to deal with. The plastic one is fine as long as the lid goes on exactly right, but I was so tired of fighting with it, I gave up.

The only thing I don't like about the metal so far is not being able to see the water level at a glance.

Last edited:
hmmm .... I have been using the plastic (quart and now gallon) and they have been fine (so far!), except that the chickens dump over the quart size now. And the gallon one they get nasty so I have to refill anyway. I was starting to consider alternatives. I didn't realize there were so many problems with various types. Glad for all the info! Thanks!

I was planning to look into the idea of a hanging waterer for inside the coop. I didn't really want to put food or water in there, but they will need to stay in some mornings for a while, so I need to give them both. I hope they don't dump over the gallon size in there, and pack the feeders with shavings like they did in the brooder (but they probably will!).

trish

Back
Top Bottom