waterfowl treats?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by pheasant24, Jul 18, 2011.

1. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have Common Sheducks, Mandarins and Egyptian geese and I am tryin to find out what they would like as treats....
    Anyone got ideas????

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Most waterfowl will go after lettuce, meal worms (captive raised ones, wild insects can spread parasites to your birds), and thawed fish of a small size.

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Their favorite thing of all time here was floating catfish food. Everything waterfowl loves it. It's kinda like crack to them.
    Every evening when I feed up, I'd do the normal thing, then take some floater and throw it out on their ponds, even ones 200 feet away would know what time it was and come running.
    Of course they like all the above mentioned stuff too, but the catfish food you can buy by the bag and just take a quick scoop to the pen for them, no prep involved.
    My divers and all also loved minnows being thrown in their ponds, even the puddle ducks learned how to catch them. That's a little more labor intensive than most want to get involved in though.

4. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ok thanks! I never thought about meal worms...and I will try catfish food!

5. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    watermelon they love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by